Topic

Skurka from the Hayduke Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skurka from the Hayduke Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Thanks for sharing, Andy! I'd have to hear more of your platform before voting you into office, but think you have a real knack for backcountry videography and commentary. I think it has the potential to really open up the backcountry to folks and encourage you to do more of it!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Awesome stuff Mr. Skurka!!-AKA-Backpacking Rockstar!!
    How does one get so much time off to hike? What is next on the hiking to do list? Tip of South America=Tierra Del Fuego to Alaska? Come on do it!

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Is anyone else having an issue with the embedded PDF's? So long as you have a recent version of Acrobat and a browser I think it should be smooth. Unless there are big issues with it I'm going to keep using the PDF format instead of JPG's like I've done with older gear lists — the PDF's are search-able and more easily download-able.

I have time to take off on trips like this because I'm essentially a full-time backpacker. I keep my expenses and responsibilities to a minimum (I rent week to week; I'm not married and don't have kids; my health care is subsidized by MA; I eat beans & rice three times a week; etc.) and I have an income through sponsors, public speaking, and content generation. And my tax deductions are huge because many of my expenses are hiking/outdoor-related, e.g. the 200-mile road trip I took on Tuesday to Fruita in order to get in a training run for a 50-mile race I have next weekend.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I see that you used the Lumix LX3 on this trip. It takes great photographs and amazing video. I would be interested in knowing how well the battery held up and if you used the LCD or just framed the shots by looking over the hot shoe? Also the number of batteries you took along with you. I've been using it without the LCD and have had acceptable shots, though have not been out for more than a couple of days and then in very cold weather.

BTW, Hig told me that you might be stopping into Juneau on your way south from Barrow; is that walk still on?

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

The OEM battery lasted about 10 days, and batteries that I picked up from BestBatt.com for $10 (about $40 less than the OEM battery) would give me about a week's worth of use. I used the LCD the whole time — I don't have a separate viewfinder, and as far as I know it's not possible to take pictures without the LCD being on. I took a lot of photos and video — something like 20 GB, with all stills being RAW at either 10 or 9 MP (depending on the aspect ratio), and all video being 640×480 30fps.

I need to figure out my summer plans. The project that I was most interested in doing, hosting an unscripted television show on long-distance hiking, fell through (we're gearing up for 2010, but we just didn't develop the idea early enough to get it off the ground in 2009). So I'll be doing a medium-sized hike this summer I think.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi guys,

The LX3 has a viewfinder mode that switches off the display. It's buried in the menu system. You also have a lot of display settings, including brightness and duration. In all, LX3 battery life seems very good.

Cheers,

Rick

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Andrew,

thanks for the response. Seems like good battery life based on your experience during this trip.

I use the LX3 without the LCD;Rick is correct that it is buried — the setting is in the rec mode menu on "page" 4 simply turn off and on. I can get a decent shot at 24mm by just looking over the hot shoe. I don't know how much this saves battery life, but assume that it would enough to warrant its use at times.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools