Topic

Bivy design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bivy design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I ordered some 1.3osy silnylon and momemtum to make a bivy. Constructing the main body part is simple enough. However, would anyone be willing to post a picture of how the top part of your bivy is constructed (i.e. where your head is)? This bivy would be used under a tarp in rain or snow.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hey Brian, check out the Meteor Bivy pattern from Six Moon Designs; http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/default.asp

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Thanks Mark. I have seen Ron's meteor bivy and had planned on using parts of the pattern for my bivy. The issue is I want to be able to use it under a tarp while in snow and thus the mesh upper section wouldn't work. I had considered just replacing the mesh with momentum or ripstop treated with DWR and essentially making a more roomy bivy/inner tent.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

if you are looking for a head piece dimension, the RS180 bivy is 33" long by 36" for the hood. roughly and not including the 2.5 taper on the lower portion of the hood. personally with my prototypes the hood was too long for my late spring through fall excursions ~21"+ deep hood after boxing the corners. i hacked out 9 inches on the last prototype and it left me with ~12" of hood space which was just enough for me. the original plan would probably be better for winter camping when more storage room might be needed, i don't really need the extra room on most my hikes.

Cali Terrasas

@cal429258

Locale: So Cal

Here is what my recent attempt at a bivy looks like.
    I really like this design. I have not added any bug netting and am not sure if I am going to.
    I used the red Gor-Tex for the top and the elastic draw cord in the bottom portion of the hood. The bottom of mine is sil-nylon (blue) and I also put a 35in. zipper in.

If you like the hood I will post more pics with a better write up on the thing.
    Hope it helped.bivy1bivy side

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Cali – Nice! Very similar to what I was thinking about putting together. So essentially it's very similar to a sleeping hood? If you have time please post more pictures and describe the approach you took. Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools