Topic

Trip in September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trip in September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Smith

@dksmithfamly

Locale: South Texas

I am a 53 year old with two twenty something sons. We have done quite a bit of backpacking, with pack weights getting lighter through the years. A couple of years ago, we did the 90+ miles from Wolf Creek Pass to Stony Pass on the CDT in about 6 days. Now we'd like to take a trip to the Wind River Range in Wyoming in September. Anyone with good experience in this area who could suggest interesting trips, trailheads, etc…?
    Dave Smith (San Antonio, Texas)

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Anywhere in the Winds is great. My wife and I went in out of Elkhart Park this summer and you could make a loop of any distance you wished. I would highly recommend getting back into the Titcomb Basin. This should give you an idea of what the area looks like.http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157613350662376/

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

You may also want to go to the forums at backpacker.com and send a PM to swimswithtrout. He has been going to the Winds since the 1970's.

How many days are you planning for?

David Smith

@dksmithfamly

Thanks for the reply – and I love the concept of goat-packing! We'd probably like to be on the trail for about a week.

Don't have a lot of experience with winter camping, but know we would have to be prepared for it if we go to Wyoming in September.

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

My avatar photo is on Washakie Pass in the Winds at 11,600 ft.

I good loop is starting out at the Big Sandy TH, up and over Hailey Pass, circle back over Washakie Pass and back to the TH.

7 days of time does not really do the Winds justice, but there are routes like the one suggested above that will provide you with great scenery.

Get ahold of the Earthwalk maps of the Winds and they will help you look at the whole Range with trails marked in red.

David Smith

@dksmithfamly

Charles,

Thanks for the help. I've ordered the Earthwalk maps of the southern and northern parts of the Wind River Range and am looking forward to obsessing over them for the next several months!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools