Topic

Big Sky International Montana 2P Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Big Sky International Montana 2P Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

"…at 3 pounds, 15 ounces for the four-season version, it's also the lightest two-person double-wall four-season tent…"

This is heavier than the Stephenson Warmlite 2R (claimed weight 2.75 pounds), which is an "all season" tent. Does the 2R not fit in this category?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

My thoughts exactly. Warmlite anyone?

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Not only the weight difference, but the 2R has been described as well beyond "winter-lite" by many users

Darrell Trump

@dtrumpster1

Locale: Connecticut

trumpster

Ok, I admit it, I am a big SL1 fan, have spent many nights in one. Having said that, in reviewing bigagnes.com, it lists the SL1 at 2lb 6oz. Add a couple oz for stakes and my math says it is still lighter than the 2lbs 10oz you are quoting for the Montana 2P. And who is lacking enough in brain matter to cough up another $260 for a lighter fly and poles. Most anywhere you can buy the SL1 complete for $200

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

My Stephenson 2R with full front door and side windows after sealing (and I did seal the devil out of it) comes in at 3lbs 2oz in the sack with side window tie outs. Now the standard 2R/2C has single wall ends, be that as it may, an extra feature offered by the Stephenson’s is to double wall the ends for just a couple extra ounces of weight for a completely double walled tent. So it appears that the Montana 4 season version needs to go to Jenny Craig to compete with a Stephenson 2R/2C. Stephenson 2R

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

We need to compare apples with apples here. The stated weight of the Stephenson's 2R standard tent without options is 2.75 pounds. The measured trail weight (with stakes) of the BSI 3-season Montana is 2 pounds 10 ounces; that's 2 ounces lighter. Both are double wall 2-person tents with two aluminum poles. Based on these numbers, I am correct in stating that the BSI Montana is the lightest two-person double wall-tent. Sorry I didn't mention the Stephenson's 2R in my article; the weight is very close and the 2R is a very well designed tent. Another consideration is the 2R costs $500 while the Montana costs $350

Darrell mentioned that his Big Agnes SL1 is only 2 pounds 6 ounces, which is lighter, but that is comparing apples and oranges because the SL1 is a one-person double wall tent.

Marcin Moscicki

@turin

My Voyager Superlite's net weight (before seam sealing) was 1610g, so I think it's lighter then Montana, even with 12 stakes for complete setup, and it's definitely a winter-lite! Actually, people use it as an assault tent.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

The New 09 Voyager Superlite is set to drop to 1.450kg.

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

If we're shooting for apples to apples, shouldn't the Stephenson's 2R be compared to the winter version of the Montana, which is listed as 3 lb. 15 oz. and $496? This puts the 2R at same price, lower weight, higher wind/snow potential I think, though not as much as it appears, because the Stephenson's weight is sans stakes and sealant. Trail weight of around 3 lb. seems to be common.

Granted, I've never used or even seen a Montana 2P, and in re-reading the article, the "winter-lite" comment isn't clearly attributed to a particular set of options so perhaps the Montana can be configured to a truly 4-season setup? But I guess I still don't see, from the numbers at least, how comparing the Warmlite to the 2 lb 10 oz configuration is apples to apples.

Of course, there are other considerations, like the 2R's lack of a vestibule which would distinguish some apples from other apples or whatever, but I think "lightest two person double wall four season" was the part that sparked the debate.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Some debate here on which BSI Montana tent to compare the Stephenson's 2R to. I was comparing silnylon tents with 2 aluminum poles to each other, which seems like a fair comparison. The Montana winter version has 3 aluminum poles, nylon interior, and a snow skirt, so its a different construction.

The listed weight for the Terra Nova Voyager Superlight is 1.7 kg, which is 3 pounds 12 ounces. The TN website does not disclose how many poles the tent has, but it appears to be more comparable to the Montana winter version.

We are basing this discussion entirely on weight, and even that gets complex because it is not clear if stakes are included in some of the weights. Another important factor is storm worthiness, and I would speculate (based on the designs) that all of these tents are quite storm worthy.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Will the Voyager has three poles and like I said is going to loose weight according to reports on UK web sites. Most notably by people involved in R&D for the company.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Well, the "lightest" tent is academic really because they all have different features. People don't buy tents based on weight alone, any more than they buy cars based on top-speed alone. The SMD refuge-X is the lightest 2-person 3-season tent but so what?

Not something to make a big deal over. As long as they are all in a similar weight class, it is the other features (and price) which will usually determine which tent someone will buy.

Cheers, A

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Calling the Stephenson a double wall tent is stretching it a bit, at this point you might as well call the Double Rainbow with the liner the lightest 2 person double wall tent.
    Franco

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

I think Ashley wins in this discussion. She's right, its more prudent to identify the tents that fit into a particular class based on weight and intended use, then make your decision based on tent features. We all want light weight, but then we start evaluating the pros and cons of each product to make that final decision. Kudos to Ashley for putting our feet back on the ground! Best, Will

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

Before I weigh-in on what class of tents the Montana should be compared to, I need some clarification on its intended end-use.

Big Sky’s website states that the Montana, properly configured, is ""Mountain" or "Alpine" rated with 4-season shell and 3HD AL poles: Suitable for camping in snow and cold weather, and capable of withstanding wind and snow loads."
    http://www.bigskyinternational.com/SummitShelters/BigSkyMontana2Pdetails.htm

This is contrasted with the “Winterlite” rating of the Convertible 2p… so either the website is incorrect, or your review misstates the companies classification for the Montana. Or, I am simply misreading something…

If the Montana is mountain rated, it would be of great interest to those seeking an above-treeline, alpine tent that would be comparable with the Warmlite and Hilleberg Nallo tents in terms of general design, lightweight and intended end-use. Personally, I can make almost any tent or tarp "Winterlite" worthy, but very much want the lightest true snow and wind worthy alpine tent available.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Will's video tour was just added to the review. Check it out!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Will:

Ashley is a guy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools