Topic

finally got around to my…Meteor bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear finally got around to my…Meteor bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Ive kept this on the back burner for like a year, I just kept putting off not wanting to deal with all that measuring required for the canopy.
    But, I finally sat down and went to work making a pattern and measuring out those arches and Im very glad I did.
    I worried a little it might be a tad small ( Im 5'11" 190 lbs) but happily its just right, considering its really a summer bivy and so only needs to hold a summer quilt. The netting starts at little over waist height- higher if I scoot down into the bivy more. I think one could easily shorten the zipper since a zipper that goes from one shoulder -over the head and stops at the waist is plenty. Because of all that zipper I thought it would weight more -but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Final weight….7.5 oz!
    Thats with a Momentum top, silnylon bottom, and nanoseeum canopy.
    I think it will be pretty sweet this summer.
    mb-1

mb-2

mb-3

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Very nice! From the pics you did a nice job!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Ya, its a simple matter of sewing, getting out the seam ripper and this time sewing it correctly! ;)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

KUDOS! Very nice … 7.5oz is not bad for some splash protection and full bug protection.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Well done, convinces me that I need to get the sewing machine out and just do it instead of thinking about it.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Brian,

Good job on the bivy. I do hope you enjoy using it!

I would like to note that we'll be going into production on the Meteor Bivy in the next few weeks. It's been requested frequently over the last few years so, I'm finally caving in and producing it.

The pattern is basically unchanged except for a few minor tweaks. I'll also be keeping the plans up on the internet so if anyone wants they can still make their own.

So anyone who wants a Meteor Bivy but doesn't want to sew, your wait will be pretty short.

Ron Moak
    Six Moon Designs

Brian UL

@maynard76

Wow thanks Ron, It means a lot coming from you.
    I'm glad to see it going into production.
    I think its another win for Sixmoon Designs!

Open Space
    Spectator

@openspace

Locale: Upstate New York

Brian,

Great job on the bivy, it looks like a professional job.

Ron,

That is great to hear that you will producing the meteor bivy. I've had the plans for about 2 years, but didn't really want to tackle it. The meteor looks like the perfect balance between function and weight for the kind of camping I do (mostly lean-to camping in the buggy Adirondacks). Based on the original post though, I'm a little concerned about it being big enough for my lofty -20 deg winter bag. Will you offer different sizes (maybe a summer and winter version) or will it be one size fits all?

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Todd,

I'm the same height as Brian with a few extra pounds. The bivy should work fine with your standard 20 degree bag. I'm not sure about a -20 degree bag. That's a lot of insulation.

It was designed to be larger than your typical bivy. With a wider floor and more top material. In general bivies are pretty closely cut to the size of sleeping bags. However, I wanted something that would be larger to make it easier to regulate temperature.

This is especially true in warmer temps where you're opening and closing your bag frequently through the night to get the right temperature balance. If the bivy is too small, it's dificult to push the sleeping bag aside when needed.

For colder temps a smaller bag is better, but then bugs and hot nights aren't an issue.

Ron

Paul Martin

@bearded1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Beautifully made. Looks like a real winner.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Ron said:
    "I wanted something that would be larger to make it easier to regulate temperature. This is especially true in warmer temps where you're opening and closing your bag frequently through the night to get the right temperature balance. If the bivy is too small, it's dificult to push the sleeping bag aside when needed. "

I hear you there. Last summer I took a trip with a zipperless Early Winters Gore-Tex bivy that I hadn't used in 20 years and 30 pounds (I'm 180 pounds, 5'10"). I also had a big puffy North Face Blue Kazoo. On warm nights (around 50 degrees) I couldn't get away from the sleeping bag and ended up sleeping on top of the bivy instead.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Ron, is there a way to hoist the bug netting up in the gatewood with already existing tabs? If not could there be an option to add something to accommodate this setup? Is there even enough room to raise the netting?

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN
    Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

This one seemed pretty slick so I thought it would be nice to have it in semi-proper English.

Yukio Yamakawa's Post in English.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools