Topic

evazote (GG NightLight) and water absorption

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) evazote (GG NightLight) and water absorption

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello –
    I have been reading the various posts and comments about Gossamer Gear nightlight pads, including what GG says on their website about evazote and whether it absorbs water. I have one of the old Mt. Washington pads (which I believe was made from evazote), which, while light, did absorb some amount of water.

I generally put my sleeping pad under my bivy, and also use my folded sleeping pad as a the back pad cushion on my own home-made backpack, so obviously the pad sees a lot of moisture, either from rain or sweat. I usually use a ridgrest which does not absorb an appreciable amount of water, if any.

Since my old Mt. Washington pad did absorb water, I am leery about getting a GG nightlight, expecting that it too would absorb water. The GG website says it won’t (absorb much). Has anything changed from the way the Mt. Washington pad was constructed to expect the NightLight to NOT absorb water? Does anyone have any personal experience using the GG NightLight with it being subjected to water absorption conditions? Does it absorb water?

Thanx for any insight you can give.
    Oatman

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

The GG Nightlight is made out of a different foam then the Mt. Washington. The Mt. Washington was open cell foam. The GG NL is closed cell foam. It does not absorb water.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The nightlights and the mt washington are both made of closed cell foam, both evazote. The cut surface of closed cell foam may expose the top layer of cells which can hold water, not absorb it.

Anonymous

“the top layer of cells which can hold water”
    That has been my experience, but the surface does seem to hold awful lot. BPL commented on this in an old review of closed cell pads and the Mt. Washington: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00077.html?id=PMn2W2f9&mv_pc=499

I wonder if there would be a way to “seal” it, with something like spray adhesive- perhaps I will try this on a small piece of evazote I have.

Oatman

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools