Topic

Knobstone Trail Transportation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Knobstone Trail Transportation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

I'm going to hike the Knobstone Trail in soon, and I am trying to pull together the logistics of transportation. Does anyone know if traffic is heavy enough at the beginning trail heads to be able to successfully hitchhike?

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

No ideas? Is it that people are afraid to suggest that a complete stranger hitch hike?

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I wouldn't rely on it. Both terminus' are off side roads, and the cars on those roads are not very heavy – though the north ends in an RV like campground, so you probably would have better luck there.

Depending on the time of year, you are also going to want to cache some water.

http://www.knobstonetrail.net/

I would also check with Dale at Indiana DNR to see how the blowdowns are, if you have any time constraints. We attempted to through hike in 2 days last October and because of the hurricane that swung up our way, our pace slowed greatly for several of the miles. I know they said it was going to take a real long time to clear them. But nothing that will slow you too much – unless you are planning to nighthike around the blowdowns.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4224.htm

Shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do about a shuttle.

Chris

kris dunn

@krisdunn

I have no info for you, but I live within 10 miles of the Deam Lake Trailhead.

I've recently become interested in hiking, started acquiring so gear and hope to start up when the weather gets a little nicer.

Feel free to PM me as well. I'd be happy to help out depending on my schedule.

–Kris

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'm looking forward to doing this trail sometime, but likely won't fit it in until next year. I just finished my first trip, which ended up being 101 miles in the Smokies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools