Topic

Shoes for Hawaii rainforest/creeks/mud

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoes for Hawaii rainforest/creeks/mud

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    G Z

@zimm17

Just moved back to Hawaii. Did a little known waterfall hike with LOTS of slippery moss bolders, rocks, scrambling, mud, and of course water. My "ultralight" new balance trail runners were not up to the task. Once my shoe got caught in some roots and my foot pulled right out of it! They never dried out after swimming. But worst of all, the hard rubber soles had zero traction on even dry rocks when the soles were wet. The 6 other hikers didn't have as much slipping problems. I'm thinking some keen sandels or other water shoe might be better.

Any recommendations? Basically a water draining, high traction shoe that protects my feet when submerged in a creek with lots of slippery rocks.

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

What island you on?

G Z

@zimm17

Oahu

Anonymous

I've used the Salomon Techamphibian Water Shoes (they've aparently upgraded them to version 2.0 now) for what my brothers and I call "Riversing"(traversing rivers). We rock hop, swim, walk through sandy bottoms, etc and they've been solid. Sticky soles when needed.

They're not so comfortable without socks so I can't say for hiking long distances, but I wore them for 2 months traveling around SE Asia, bare foot and socked, and never got a blister or sweaty feet.

You might wear them with thin socks like Jardine suggests.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Normal footwear in the cold wet mossy NSW canyons are Dunlop Volleys. In fact, I believe they are mandatory in some bushwalking clubs.

Cheers

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Gregory, I have spent many fine summers backpacking Hawaii and usually end up with a pair of Reef flipflops. If I am doing a any cliffy area's such as Napali I wear my Choco's they are a bit heavy but still great for hiking. Im considering using them on my AT hike. I did a test with them on the TRT and had no complaints. One final thought in the deep valleys I tend to go barefoot it is Hawaii afterall, go native. Ali

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Did the Kalalau trail back in November with my Inov8 Flyroc 310's and they worked great. The high flexibility was very welcome on the unstable terrain.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I used Montrail Vitesses on the Kalalau trail, but would have hurt myself on some of those sluice – esque sections without poles.

When dayhiking I used a Montrail amphibious shoe. I didn't use socks and the small gravel tore my feet up over the course of the day.

I'm not sure what to recommend!

Justin Bernard

@angrybear

i've done kalalau 10 times or so and my weapon of choice has been salomon xa pro 3d's. worked amazingly well.

on the days we've done off trail rock hopping, i opt for techamphibians. worn out a couple pair on kauai alone…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools