Topic

Toothpaste

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toothpaste

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

What do you do for toothpaste? I remember getting a super small tube at a hotel once. Darned if I can remember where though.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada
    Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

A couple of drops of Dr. Bonner's.

Unknown abc

@edude

about 1 tsp. Baking Soda for trips longer than than 4-5 nights, shorter than that, you don't need it.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

an active ingredient in mouthwash: chlorine dioxide
    an active ingredient in some toothpaste: chlorine dioxide
    an active ingredient in Aquamira: chlorine dioxide

take if from there :)

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I like taking an Oral B Brush-up with a piece of floss for each day (a toothbrush isn't needed). For two nights, this weighs about 3 grams.

Craig

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

i go without.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I use Eco-Dent Tooth Powder…sold at most health stores. Very easy to pack and has all natural ingredients!!!

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

PLease dont say baking soda. I never really thought about it, but whats it made from? Ali

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is the chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. Sodium bicarbonate is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slight alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs. The natural mineral form is known as nahcolite. It is also produced artificially.

Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda. Colloquially, its name is shortened to sodium bicarb or bicarb soda. The word saleratus, from Latin sal æratus meaning "aerated salt", was widely used in the 19th century for both sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. The term has now fallen out of common usage. Ali

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have been using a mixture of 2/3 Baking Soda & 1/3 Salt.

I keep it in a small ziplock baggie.

Initially, this was a really nasty tasting combo, but after a few trips I am used to is and my 6 yr old daughter is used to it to.

Nice thing is that you don't have to rinse your mouth out.

Technically, it could have dual usage….upset stomach.

The salt helps will killing bacteria.

1 oz of this mix is probably enough for 1 week or more.

-Tony

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Put it in a straw. Fold the ends of the straw over and then slide a small section of straw tube over the top of each fold to hold it in place.

John Sixbey

@wolfeye

I use tooth powder I picked up in a drugstore. I'd tell you the brand, but apparently I put it someplace "special" and can't find it.

I tried homemade powder using baking soda, and this stuff tastes a lot better.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Baking soda. Usually in a film container (a relic from the last century) because I also use it as a deodoriser and to wash myself with.
    And as above, I don't spit it out because a little bit is good for the stomach.
    Franco

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1/4 oz poly container for colgate total.

http://www.rei.com/product/605887

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I use travel size and when it's empty I squeeze a little from a full-size container into the travel size container. Just a little.

Hiking the PCT last summer to Mt. Shasta I only ever did this once and I think I replaced the travel size once. I didn't brush every day, especially when water was scarce.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Whoops. Posted on the wrong forum. To people who want to use baking soda but can't stand the taste. They have powdered tooth powder at the health nut store. Either mint of cinnamon flavor. Much better tasting than b.s.

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

I tried a few DIY powder recipes but was never satisfied. A friend turned me on to a commercial british product named Eucryl Toothpowder:

http://www.eucryl.co.uk/

It is fantastic. NFI.

– Klas

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I carry a travel tube of my favorite type (no dyes added). I find it at nearly any drugstore for $1 or so in the travel mini section. Most companies make minis. You can also find most of them at Minimus.biz as well.

I also carry a full toothbrush (gasp!) and floss.

My teeth deserve good stuff ;-)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://www.minimus.biz/ is the place. Get the little hotel freebie style sewing kits while you're at it.

I load the gel style toothpaste into a small vial with a wide top. It is easier to get in and out. A syringe with no needle helps.

There are powdered toothpaste products out there. I'll bet a health food type store would have more choices. In the past, powders were the rule rather than the exception.

IMHO, Dr Bronners is an excellent soap– I use it every day, but it is TERRIBLE for toothpaste. PTOOI!

Wayne Sikorsky

@wts

Hi John, On short trips I like any of my favorite travel size tooth past, usually 1/2 mt anyway , so its pretty light(1/2oz)or so. But for a longer trip I like to carry a small amount of salt. I use it for brushing, mouth wash ect., and its good for an emergency electrolite. I think just brushing and flossing with nothing is better than not.And thats pretty light.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I was brought up on tooth powder, first on some stuff called "pycopay" that my grandparents always used. This was in the 1950's. Later we just mixed half and half baking soda and salt. My husband, and therefore of course my 3 (now grown) kids, all use toothpaste. Then about 20 years ago I found some information (now I forget what) that suggested the only benefit of toothpaste is the fluoride, and since we have fluoride in our municipal water it's superfluous. That the flavor of toothpaste gets more people to brush their teeth, but that's about it. Since I never liked the stuff, nor did I like the tooth powder, I just started brushing my teeth with a wet toothbrush and rinsing well. Plus plain floss or those interdental brushes. After 20 years of this my teeth are no worse or better than the teeth of all the family members who use toothpaste.

I think you can all dispense with toothpaste or powder on backpacking trips, and just use a small toothbrush and maybe a travel size interdental brush or a few strands of floss. Which can also be used to repair gear.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I bring a brush but no paste, powder, or other stuff.
    I just wet the brush and do my thing, rinsing a few times in the process…it works for me; simple.

David Loome

@davidloome

Locale: American Southwest

Dr. Bronners concentrated liquid soap in the peppermint… uh, 'flavor'.

Package it in a BPL mini dropper bottle. 2 drops per brush.

Foams up just like normal toothpaste, tastes about the same. I rinse real well afterwards to avoid a very occasional, very minor soap aftertaste. No ill-effects so far.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools