Topic

No more wholes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear No more wholes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cali Terrasas

@cal429258

Locale: So Cal

Hi there again everyone I have been making jackets and shorts for practice runs on making a Bivy and Gore-Tex jacket β€œ I know but I am a firm believer in Gore-Tex” any way I have been wondering how you guys cut out your pattern with out sticking like 20 thousand wholes into your fabric with the straight pins to hold it down
    Do you tape it or what? Thanks guys

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Sorry, but…

When you're in a whole, stop digging.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Cali

I make the pattern with the seam allowance included out of builders sheet plastic. Then I pin the pattern to the fabric with lots of fine pins IN THE SEAM ALLOWANCE.

Same applies when pinning the fabric together before sewing: ALL pins in the seam allowance.

Cheers

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Go to your local Jo-Ann fabric store and buy yourself some fabric weights. They're on the Notions wall, about 4 of them for $9.99. But Jo-Ann's is always having 50% of sales – so you can easily get them for less.

You can also just used canned food to weight the pattern to the fabric.

Either way, you avoid having to pin and poke holes…

Cali Terrasas

@cal429258

Locale: So Cal

Sorry for the bad Eng-rish. My fingers write and the brain can't keep up!
    But I am a hiker not an Eng-rish major. This or any post I make after this will not be in MLA or APA format.
    Thanks guys for the help I will give it a try and let you know how it comes out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools