Topic

Long-term Aquamira studies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Long-term Aquamira studies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ed Barkowski
    Spectator

@edbarkowski

Anyone out there know if there have been any conclusive, long-term studies on purification chemicals' (such as AM) effect on the body's natural bacterial and viral defense mechanisms, after prolonged consumption (thru-hike)?

To further frame this question, I'm alluding to the recent alleged discovery of hand sanitizer's eventual effect of bacterial resilience, etc. Does this theory/problem transfer when the treatment chemical is ingested vs topically applied?

In addition, despite being considered safely and widely used in municipal water treatment plants, are these chemicals – and others like them – free of all residual effect/trace on/in the body?

Any takers? Any scientists?

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I don't know about Aquamira, but where did you hear that bacteria are growing resistant to hand sanitizer? If you're talking about alcohol-based sanitizers, I don't think that that's possible.

See http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/articles/400/400_2c1feat6.html for more info.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I would be asking elsewhere about studies on long term affects to municipal water.

From what I have read up on the chemicals break down over time and dissipate.

On the other hand, if you grew up on skanky well water you would be happy to drink treated water…….lord knows a lot of weird stuff grows in well water. (Heck, I had a boyfriend in high school whose well water often smelled of jet fuel – from the naval air station across the fence…..later it became a Superfund Site)

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

There's a general suggestion in the medical community that the widespread use of antibiotics is increasing the number of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, through evolutionary pressure. But bacteria with antibiotic-resistant genes have been discovered a mile below the earths's surface. What we don't realize is that bacteria aren't just sitting out there scheming how to do us in, they're engaged in all-out warfare with other bacteria, so, if in a particular environment, like a hospital, we kill off all the bacteria vulnerable to a particular class of antibiotics, others which are antibiotic-resistant will rush in to take their place.

So use of Aquamira wouldn't somehow create a race of monster pathogens; if we flooded, for example, the Appalachians with Aquamira, aquamira-resistant pathogens would take the place of the pathogens killed off by Aquamira. But that's a far cry from hikers filling their bottles with Aquamira-treated water which won't re-enter the environment until after we've metabolized it.

Ed Barkowski
    Spectator

@edbarkowski

James

A good point. The human body, in this context, does act as a closed system. Hmm. I guess my remaining question is if and how the body reacts to months and months of water treatment chemical ingestion.

I know this begs the comment about our day-to-day chemical-laden conventionally grown food intake, but please don't go there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I guess my remaining question is if and how the body reacts to months and months of water treatment chemical ingestion."

That is why I filter my water if I am in a location that I think warrants treatment. The verdict isn't in yet and by the time it is it'll be too late if it's "guilty".

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools