Topic

SnowPeak Titanium cookware and mugs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SnowPeak Titanium cookware and mugs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sid Post

@sidpost

How well do the double wall SnowPeak mugs keep a hot beverage hot compared to a single wall mug? I drink hot tea and would like something I could sip on for a few minutes while it remained hot to warm (subjective) on a cool day (nominal 40F in the morning).

How does the TREK 700 Ti compare to the 600mL Ti mug? The 600ml mug looks like it would be easier to eat out of due to its reduced height. Of course, when shopping on-line, pictures can distort what the real product actually looks and feels like.

Also, will the small fuel canister (SnowPeak) fit inside the 600mL mug? Which Trek Ti cooking pot would hold a large fuel canister?

I have looked at the MSR Titan cookware and didn’t really like it. It is hard to identify just why, I think it was the rolled edges that turned me off.

Besides SnowPeak and MSR, who else makes cookware and mugs worth considering? Are there any differences to recommend on brand over the other besides price?

I am looking for cookware for simple meals (raman noodles, pasta, hard boiled eggs, etc) and tea cooked on Alcohol stoves (on foot) with car camping use on canister stoves during travel (I am looking at the SnowPeak model to complement my JetBoil).

Thanks!
    Sid

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

One thing you might consider Sid is going to your local Home Depot (or whatever) and in the insulation section… find a roll of what’s called “Reflectix”. It’s essentially foil bubble wrap. Get the smallest roll they sell as well as some aluminum foil tape, and you can easily make a cozy for anything… and it will probably even work better than a double walled mug. A single walled mug plus reflectix cozy may also save some weight over a double walled mug alone. I use a reflectix cozy for my “simmer in bag” meals… I put the entire bag inside a reflectix cozy to “cook”… and it’s amazing how hot they are. The stuff works great and weights very little.

If you really want to save some weight… you could even switch to a Henieken beer can pot (you’ll need a side-cut can opener like the good cook safe cut) and make a reflectix cozy for that. Total weight would be 1.5 oz. Cheaper too! And you get 24 oz. of complimentary beer with your purchase!!! WooHoo!

If you’re interested, take a look at my homemade 1.7 oz beer can kitchen.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I have a 700 ml Ti Snowpeak pot, which I like quite a bit…except for one issue. I use an alcohol Pepsi can stove, which has a fairly large flame diameter. This makes my system (much?) less efficient than if I had a shorter but wider pot. I would recommend that you look at matching the pot diameter with the type of stove that you use. Otherwise, I love cooking and eating out my Snowpeak pot and its graduated markings.
    Tom

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I made a cozy from the metalized bubble wrap and metalized tape. It’s similar to Tinman’s design, and works great. I adds very little bulk and weight, but really extends the warmth.
    Tom

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Unfortunately, the small fuel canister does not fit inside the Ti 600. However, the giga-power stove does fit.

I have one (and a Giga-power), I really like the cup (and the stove). (Got ’em as gifts).

The pics you’re seeing do distort the sizes (I think) the 700 is a little taller but is also wider (that’s how it fits the canister). I don’t think the 600 would be any easier to eat out of than the 700. If I could do it again I would have asked for the 700 for Xmas (when I got the 600, the 700 was not yet out).

Glad to see you got the ‘handle’ working on that Ti/Henie.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> I use an alcohol Pepsi can stove, which has a fairly large flame diameter. This makes my system (much?) less efficient than if I had a shorter but wider pot.

Agreed. I use a Mirro 1L pot with my Pepsi can stove, which is a good size for two. I made a similar stove from Red Bull cans for use with my Snow Peak 700. It works well.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

How does the TREK 700 Ti compare to the 600mL Ti mug?

600 – 3.75(d) x 4(h), 20 oz capacity, 2.9 oz wt.
    700 – 4.125d x 4.37h, 24 oz capacity, 4.5 oz wt.

Also, will the small fuel canister(SnowPeak) fit inside the 600mL mug?

Yes. In fact, the 600 will house a Gigapower stove and a small Snowpeak canister (stove goes in first, then the canister slides in upside down — perfect fit with nothing protruding out.

Take a look at AntiGravityGear’s 3-cup aluminum pot. Light weight and cheap ($8). I just ordered one, so no direct experience, but have read lots of good reviews.

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

I purchased Snow Peak’s 450 Ti double walled mug in an effort to keep my morning coffee warm but reduce the bulk and weight over the traditional insulated mugs. It worked somewhat but without a lid too much heat escapes, and a double walled mug is not something you want to put over your stove to reheat.

I also purchased the Trek 700 Ti and find it works great for my solo trips and pulls double duty for my morning coffee pot/cup when I drop a muslin tea bag full of my favorite Starbucks coffee in the pot to steep. If the coffee gets a little cool, I jut reheat. As previously mentioned it easily holds a small canister, Snow Peak stove, and small cleaning towel.

Paul Weiss

@pweiss

The Evernew Titanium series is cookware worth considering. I own and love my 130 gram .8 liter teapot. The teapot is wider at the base than the 4 oz .9 liter or the 4.6 oz 1.3 liter.
    Don’t bother with “non-stick” for your purposes.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have the Snow Peak Trek 700 and like it. You can nestle the Snow Peak 450 into it, and the 700 will nestle into the 900 and the 900 nestles into the 1400. This is a complete compliment for most any need.

I find the Trek 700 is good for soloing. It is a great fit for the BPL Ti Esbit wing stove. The Brasslite Turbo ‘F’ does not have too wide a flame, but I dislike the lack of stability.

I cannot fit the smaller MSR (Iso-pro) canister (it has a wider diameter), but the Snow Peak mini (110)giga power canister fits well with room to spare. I do treat the bottom of all my pots by masking the top portion and spray the bottoms with black high temp oven paint. It does help decrease boil time and soot is less visible.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Benjamin Tang
    Yes. In fact, the 600 will house a Gigapower stove and a small Snowpeak canister (stove goes in first, then the canister slides in upside down — perfect fit with nothing protruding out.

Does the rolled bottom of the canister ‘hook’ on the lip of the cup? I wonder if I’ve been buying the larger size canister… I could swear the one I have didn’t fit…

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

I have one right here and it fits fine. The rolled edge doesn’t hook but rests on the top of the cup.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Joshua:

The top rim of the cup is just a bit wider than the bottom rim of the canister, so the entire canister will fit inside the cup when you drop it in upside down. There is no “hooking”.

However, because the cup narrows down towards the bottom, the canister won’t drop all the way to the bottom, but just deep enough that the canister rests entirely inside the cup.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Now I feel like an idiot… I can’t believe I missed that when I got mine…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You’re way too hard on yourself. You probably had the larger size canister…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools