Topic

Youthful Posters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Guys I am a little concerned about some of our newer posters who are minors. They seem like intelligent kids, but when they start talking about sleeping in 32 degree weather without a bag I wonder. My concern is for their well-being. There are 2 or 3 of these scouts who have come on heavy posting in the last few months. I know I have pointed out to atleast one other member (through PM, not publicly) that they were speaking with a 14 year old kid. I don't want to impede their education, or my own for that matter. I just don't want them endangering themselves by sleeping out in their backyards in 32 degree weather because someone told them to try it out. What do we as a community do? And what does BPL do as the medium provider?

Jonathan

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

You could require those under 18 to have an orange, upper-case "m" next to their name when they post. So yours would be like "jonathanb23 – M".

That would let everyone know to treat them accordingly.

Unknown abc

@edude

C'mon, Nate!(seriuosly?!)

Jonathan, I sent you a PM.

I love being in the ultralight community with you guys, and I am sorry for being so adult-ish.

Just to let yal' know, I would never actually try the bivy thing out except in summer with a realistic backup and bailout(I hope my parents would't lock me out, lol)

-Evan

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Evan,

The uppercase "m" is already in use for members, which is why Jonathan has one next to his name. Perhaps that bit of dead-pan was above your reading level….naw, I keeed….I keeeed.

As far as only bivying going–ick. I'd much rather have a silk liner than nylon up against my skin, but, you know, Sleep Your Own Sleep, as they don't say.

Unknown abc

@edude

My mother has done an excellent job of schooling me(I am homeschoooled for all you lefties who neva' heard of that)
    And I actually have the reading level of a college student!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

we got a live one!

You're far too young to be throwing around the word "lefty".

Wait until you're 25 and then decide for yourself that you'd really rather not have healthcare and would instead prefer to be mired in an interminable religious war over an energy commodity that is growing scarcer by the week and also destroying our planet! ;)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Lefties?? Son go have some Skittles.

Unknown abc

@edude

Alright now, I know that was a bold statement, but I hold my ground – whats said is said. Now, this is BPL, not the Supreme Justice! so lets all just cool down… (lol cheeks and ears turning red).

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Evan,

Really the "32 degrees without a bag" was just enough to make me finally post this. I didn't think you were planning on jumping into the backyard with icicles hanging on your toes, but you just never know. As a community and as adults we have responsibilty to keep you educated and safe. I don't want you to be branded so that people treat you differently. If we "brand" people then they start lying to avoid it anyway. I just think we need to be aware not only do minors post, but they can lurk since almost all of our forum is public. I would really just like to see a little awareness. All in all there is no large issue. You seem to be a rather bright guy, but some other young man reading your post might not be.

Unknown abc

@edude

I like M&M's in my GORP, not Skittles, lol.

Hey, thats an awesome idea! A new GORP Thread to take our minds off of my silly posts! lol!

-Evan

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

You have nothing but silly Post guy!!!

Unknown abc

@edude

What?
    could you edit, I don't understand what you're trying to say to me.

-Evan

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jonathan, thanks for your post, I've been thinking the same thing lately. We need to remember that this is an open forum.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

I figure we get 'em smoking now and they'll be ticking you off for years to come ;)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Evan

Don't you understand: BPL IS the Supreme Justice (of UL walking) … :-)

Hang in there, and don't worry too much, Just think two or three times before doing anything too … different. And of course, the backyard is THE place for experiments!

Here in Oz we still have some people who are adamant that you will perish without big leather boots and full GoreTex rainsuits. Really – you will die! I think that is a faith based thing for them, as they ignore the evidence before their eyes that others don't die. So, feel free to challenge the orthodoxy, but leave yourself an escape hatch (like the rest of us).

Cheers

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Wow!

I didn't know BPL could be so lively! -LOL- Evan, I teach kids about your age and I try to respect you. But, youth can be, well… stupid. That goes for me when I was your age, and I suspect everyone in this forum at one time or another. I have just a little friendly advice for you:

1) Listen to what these guys are telling you. They have good intentions and your life may depend on it.

2) It's NOT a good idea to throw around political jargon or rhetoric until you understand the politics. You'll make a better impression that way.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Quoting socalpacker: It's NOT a good idea to throw around political jargon or rhetoric until you understand the politics.

I would even add: leave politics and mindless branding of people entirely out.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"But, youth can be, well… stupid."

Adults are much better at hiding intentions and denying the inherent risk about to be undertaken. It is a skill we all have to learn to avoid the wrath of 'the boss', 'the wife', or the 'forum member'.

Honesty is always the best policy, but is often couched in the terms of "considering", "I wonder what would happen if…", and "Maybe". Without those qualifiers other 'adults' tend to become overly concerned, especially if you are venturing outside 'their' sphere of comfort. It's always well intentioned, but sometimes 'overprotective'.

Those of us not used to dealing with 'youth' are to polite to say "What! are you Kidding?!!" Give us time Evan, we'll catch on.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

When I first found this forum (when I was a minor), I thought I knew a lot about backpacking and the outdoors in general. The more time I spend here, I realize that I really know very little – the amount of collective experience on this forum is astounding. They say that as you get older, you realize how little you really know in the scheme of things.

BTW, I am NOT a minor :P

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

I second what socalpacker says–there is absolutely nothing wrong with being left-handed. For centuries, schoolmasters punished those who were, but we know now that it is a genetic predisposition and should not be disaparaged.

;)

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Quoting Peter Laciano:

"The more time I spend here, I realize that I really know very little – the amount of collective experience on this forum is astounding."

Peter,

I share your opinion. BPL is truly an amazing site and comprehensive learning resource that is equaled by no other. And, I think your last point, "They say that as you get older, you realize how little you really know in the scheme of things," is incredibly profound and, at 47 years old this week, I agree with you 100%.

Nate,
    I have one thing to say to you. LOL LOL LOL. Bravo!

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

I say more power to you young ones. You old guys have just forgot what living is about and healthy people dont need health care. I'm 40 and while I might go to the dentist every year I can afford to pay my own bills and not rely on taxpayers to pay my debts. Other than that I havnt been to a doctor once in my adult life. The human body is amazing at healing itself. Take care of your body and you wont need healthcare. Ali

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

It been a decade since I went to the doctors besides a few emergency room visits for stitches for witch they charged hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.
    This year I will be fined for not being able to afford or want health care. Now in their speeches they can tell the crowds how they descended from heaven and brought universal health care to the poor of Mass. whether they could afford it or not. But, Im still young and like people keep telling me politics are only for sophisticated people like MTV audiences. Rock the Vote -P.Diddy (political genius- or so Im told)
    ;)

Unknown abc

@edude

When I coined the term "lefties" I did not mean left-handed people. Again, I am sorry for breaking BPL Forum Ground Rules:

"The Ground Rules
    Be civil, reasonable, and helpful. Off-topic, inflammatory, or inappropriate posts will be removed at our discretion. For more, view BPL Forum Ethics."

And I realize I shouldn't have tried to insult people with different political views than I. Sorry all.

-Evan

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

whatever happened to throwing the kids outside and telling them not to come back till dinner?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools