Topic

Golite Shangri La 3 as duomid.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Shangri La 3 as duomid.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I just realized that you can stake out 4 corners into a rectangle instead of staking 6 into a hex, thus reducing the footprint and essentially turning the Shangri La 3 into a duomid.
    I had an issue with the footprint size a week ago while snow camping with my son in the Cucamonga Wilderness. We had trouble fitting the shelter into a small, rock-protected site.
    By staking only 4 corners, it's footprint is no bigger than a typical 2 man tarp.

The extra side fabric (on the long sides) simply gets rolled up on the inside. I plan on sewing 2 extra pullouts for stakes where these long sides meet the ground.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Thanks for sharing the pics. I am looking at a shangri-la 3 and this is helpful to know another pitching option. Looks good!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I really think this is an awesome shelter; it seems a bit underrated around here. Without the manufacturer's pole (use trekking poles or build your own) it's only 23oz. For the amount of space you get it's crazy…my old Tarptent Contrail was 1/3 of the floorspace and 1/4 the headroom and weighed 32 oz. with everything- and would never survive the weather a Shangri-La could handle. Granted it is floorless, but I prefer that now anyway. I think it's light enough to even justify as using for a solo palace if you're inclined.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Great idea, I can't wait to try it- could have used this plan a while back in a cramped site- hard to think creatively sometimes after a hard day walking.
    I suppose it's only a matter of time before somebody cuts off the excess fabric, sews it up again, and makes a permanent duomid of the SL3- I wonder what that would weigh?
    Won't be me…
    Thanks for the great idea.
    cheers,
    fred

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

When you say the extra fabric is rolled up on the long sides, is it the fabric at the floor or the fabric of the side walls? If the side walls, how are you keeping it rolled up? Looks good from this angle, but I'd like to see side picks up a little closer.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It's just loosely rolled on the inside. You can just barely see it in the picture with the door open- it's on the inside left wall… It unravels slightly during use but it hasn't bothered me yet.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Craig,
    Do you know the dimensions of the SL3 in DuoMid mode?

I can't believe Golite doesn't have a layout – only square feet – very lame.

thanks

Edit: Rule of Thumb: Google 1st.

I found the relationships between Area, Side Length, and Span.
    I find a side is 4.76' and the span is 8.25', in DuoMid mode.

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

Awesome,

I can't believe this never occured to me!

I love my shangri la 3, have cut it down to 1 lb 5oz. Was about to do a post on it.

My only complaint about it was it was six sided. This makes it much more complex to stake out and adds weight and complexity.

I needed a quick pitch option.

And you just gave it to me. :)

Now… the only other option I need is a way to pitch it with a single line off a tree.

I want to explore the "tarp like" properties.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Fascinating, I like your thinking, provides another dimension to the SL 3. One question are you using the current model (3 vents) or the previous model (2 vents)?

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

This works with either the 2 or 3 vent version . On the three vent (may work on the 2 vent also) I'll often stake the four main points, then there are two loops already in place on the sides that can be staked for a little more room and stability.

Here is my quick paint doodle to show what I mean. The red points need solid anchors, but the green ones are less critical since they aren't under much stress.

SL3 Pitch Option

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools