Topic

Packs that use pad for frame

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Packs that use pad for frame

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Great minds…eh? I bought some sticky back velcro and cut 4 squares to stick the sections together. It seems to stick well enough so far and it is not a new pad. Only thing I'm not fond of is the small overlap.

I should have cut the pad into 2 and 10 or 4 and 8 sections. Then I would have a little sit pad. I suppose I could experiment and buy a new pad once I find the best set-up.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Keep this up, I'm going to call GG and buy you a sitlight.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Diane, I also used sticky backed velcro but I wanted to avoid the overlap so I put 2 small "hook" patches on each side of the panels to be jointed (for a total of 4 patches) and then made a longer section of "loop" strap that would extend between the 2 panels. When I put them together they fit together just like the other panels. I store the loop on the "hook" panel that I use for a pack frame so is doesn't get caught on the fabric going in and out. All I had was sticky backed velcro for the "loop" side (they came together) so I took a very thin plastic bag and stuck it to the glue side then trimmed off the excess. Now it is smooth as silk and no glue residue.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

That's a smart way to apply the velcro.

I use a quilt and so sleep directly on the pad. I would be worried about the scratchiness of the velcro edges bothering me when I tried to sleep. But if I redo this and cut it just right, it shouldn't be right under my hip to bother me.

Don't buy me a sitlite pad! I am happy with the z-rest. So easy to fold up and put away and fold into different configurations for leaning against odd objects or taking naps.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Christopher,

You asked "Do the convolutions on the sitlight pad offer any benefits (comfort, ventilation, whatever) over a flat pad like the thinlight against your back?:

To me it is the same. I usually use it with the convolutions towards the pack because it feels better. I sweat so much it wouldn't matter much which way I use it anyway.

I have found this post funny. I love my frameless pack and the ability to use my sleep pad for a frame. The one thing that usually freaks people out is the fact that the pad is against my back all day while I'm sweating on it. Doesn't bother me much. I get a good fit from a frameless pack.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

I have the Mariposa Plus. I always use the sitlight pad in the pad pocket. Its comfortable, always ready and easy to use at rest breaks and serves as extra comfort under my hips at night.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Ok thanks, Scott.
    I just use a piece of blue closed cell foam pad in the external pad pocket (if at all) for convenient access. I had thought about buying a sitlight in hopes of slightly better ventilation back there.

A short ridgerest or thinlight goes inside the pack.

Maybe I'll get one to try anyway, the next time I place an order.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

If you're not using it already, there is an industrial variety of velcro that has MUCH stronger adhesive. MUCH higher price too!

I looked around but can't lay my hands on mine right now, or I'd tell you the proper name of it, but I think it's just Industrial Velcro.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Diane, I have the pads (hook side) and strap (loop side) on the underside of the z-rest so that the velcro would not snag either my underwear or sleeping bag- which ever I was using.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

You know what the problem was? The z-rest is just too tall. I cut 2 inches or so off the pad lengthwise and now the 6 panels fit fine in the pocket and the rest of the pad can be put inside the pack.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So how does it carry? I bought a G4 for my son, and I thought a Z would really stiffen it up.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools