Topic

Looking for tips and instructions for an ultralight quilt that weighs under 2.0lbs. on a limited budget

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for tips and instructions for an ultralight quilt that weighs under 2.0lbs. on a limited budget

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Unknown abc

@edude

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to make an ultralight quilt that is:

1.inder 2lbs.
    2.inexpensive – ( i want to use synthetic)
    3.easy to make
    4.durable

what is a cheap way to do this?

-Evan

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Minimum temperature?

Which depends on
    Bivy? Tent?
    Supplemental clothing, for instance camp clothing worn to bed?

Splashproof, waterproof, don't care?

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

One place to look would be Ray Jardine's website, which has various quilt kits listed for sale plus a lot of info on making quilts. His kits perhaps fit your criteria.

JRS

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

buy 5yds of fabric (1.1oz rip stop is the cheapest and can be found about a million places. Don't pay over $5yd)

buy 2.5yds of insulation (climashiled XP 2.5 for 40-50* COMBAt 3.7 for 35*ish and XP 5oz for 20-30*)(thur-hiker.com is only place i know of right now)

Cut the fabric in half (2×2.5yds)lay the two pieces on the grond one on top of the other
    lay the insulation on top.
    The top layer of fabric will be the shell and the bottom layer will be the liner

Measure your dimensions and pin it all together then cut it out (way faster than measure cut then pin as everything is already together and you get a clean cut line)

Add draw cord channels and lines at the top and bottom. If you want under straps slip them between the layers of fabric and pin them in place. If you want snaps add the gross grain pull tabs now, or add a zipper at the bottom to create a foot box.

sew all but 8" closed, pull it inside out, if all is well top stitch the 8" opening closed and go camping

-Tim

P.S.
    This takes me under 3hrs. I have done a lot of quilts so plan on a little longer, but it is a very easy and fast way to get a nice piece of gear.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Hey Tim –
    Any idea around what weight you end up with on a finished quilt using those directions (w/o zipper)? Also, how well does that insulation compact? Any ideas on the size you end up with for a stuff sac?

Thanks for the post – you make me want to make one.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i recently made a 52x40x78" quilt using 1.4oz material and 5oz XP that weighed 26oz. 1.1 oz material is lighter by about 2oz

I have nothing to offer on compressibility as i don't EVER compress synthetic insulation

obvious XP 2.5 takes up less space than 3.7 which takes up less then 5. Same goes for weight.

-Tim

P.S.
    a #3zip will weigh close to what 5 snaps and gross grain weigh, maybe even a bit less.

also owfinc.com has 1.4oz 2nd quality fabric for very cheap right now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools