Topic

Winter Jacket – 22oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Winter Jacket – 22oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Wills

@willspower3

Hey everyone, I just got done making my first insulated jacket and I wanted to share it. It is a hooded, full zip, no pocket variety with a waist bungee, and a hood bungee. The arms in the pattern finished 3" too short, so I added double layer fleece cuffs on the ends. It has a layer of 5 oz climashield xp all the way around, is made with 1.5 oz ripstop on the outer, and a softer ~1.5 oz miniripstop for the liner. Total weight is 22 oz. It replaces my Montbell thermawrap parka for cold (twice the insulation, only 8oz more!) and will accompany me through however much of the AT I can manage to get done when I leave in a few weeks.
    winterjacket
    winterjacket2

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Looks great! If you remake, you could go with a lighter insulation in the arms to reduce bulk and weight. Montbell does this with their jackets.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I added double layer fleece cuffs on the ends.

That's not so silly, actually. I have found that having big puffy down cuffs near my hands can be a worry while I am cooking over a stove.

Cheers

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

David,
    VERY nice work. The super high neck going into the hood looks really nice! Please do a writeup after testing it out to tell us how it works!

Kevin

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i agree with the cuffs, i like the warmth of long sleeves, but i find that i am constantly pushing them up my forearms. which i why i opt for a vest most of the time. it may be one of those good accidents. by the way, the jacket looks great!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools