Topic

Looking for a trip suggestion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Looking for a trip suggestion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

Greetings gang:

It's been awhile since I've rapped at ya; school's been dragging me down. But my friend and I want to take a trip during the first week of March, and we're looking for some help. We're looking for a trail east of the Mississippi that doesn't involve winter camping. I can do colder weather, but I don't have the funds to get the 4-seasons gear that is necessary. Any suggestions? I live in Michigan, if that helps…

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Could you do a southern portion of the AT? The south end of the AT is only 1.5-2 hours from Atlanta. I looking at doing that in mid-April or maybe over Memorial Weekend as my in-laws live there, but still working on the details. Since the merger of NWA & Delta, tickets have gone up about $200 to Atlanta from Minneapolis-St. Paul which sucks. It would probably be about the same from Detroit. And they say that mergers are supposed to keep prices down… Yeah Right!! Good Luck!

I've searched a little bit to see if there are any shuttles or transit that leave from Atlanta to the trail head, but haven't found any yet.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Some options, with weather down to the 20s and 30s, with the occasional freak colder night:

Within 6 Hrs:
    Red River Gorge – KY – Lots of Loop options
    Deam Wilderness – IN – 35 miles of several loop options
    Knobstone Trail – IN – 50 miles, very hilly

Within 7 Hrs:
    Dolly Sods – WV – Several loop options
    A section of the AT in TN/NC/VA

(times assuming you're in Ann Arbor)

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

I second the Dolly Sods Wilderness. Very nice area, especially when isolated in the winter.

I was out there for a few nights in late February last year, and I was fine with very basic 3-season gear. A few inches of snow, and temps in the 20s, but nothing that merited 4-season gear, crampons/spikes, or anything of the sort.

Southern AT is always good; but I've typically found the VA sections to be fairly dry in the winter.

For a little closer to home, consider the Cumberland Gap too.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

I think that the Knobstone Trail (KT) may be up my alley. It's a good length, and it's not too far from Kalamazoo. I've been looking around and it doesn't seem like backcountry permits are required. My only issue is transportation from the end trailhead all the way back to the start. I haven't found much on the Web that gives good, solid information about the KT. I'll keep looking; if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

I also will be doing the KT this year, hopefully in the spring. In researching this trail, I came across this outfitter site:

http://www.indianaoutfitters.com/Outfitter_pages/go_deep_adventures.htm

He includes pickup/delivery services to trailheads. Might give him a call. I used to live in Kazoo before moving to South Bend; nice town.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Thanks for the beta. I'll give that guy a call. I'm also now considering the Cumberland Gap. However, there are only a few campsites to stay at, whereas I could camp anywhere I wish on the KT. Choices, choices, choices…

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools