Topic

Jargon buster

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Jargon buster

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is a pet hate of mine , so indulge me for a few seconds.
    DVD quality
    This is just advertising jargon that suggest an inscribed but desirable amount of quality to the unsuspecting public. The term has been used with compact still cameras, mobile phones and other similar "movie capable" devices.
    There is no minimum amount of quality that can be captured or played back on DVD. DVD is a standard that defines the compression type, maximum line resolution, frame rate and the like, nothing to do with minimum quality, the limit is the maximum quality ( IE see the difference between the same movie release on DVD and Blue Ray) . To explain, if you capture some video with the worst possible PC cam and burn that onto a DVD, that is DVD quality….
    Franco

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I share your grief. I've been researching camcorders for ages but cannot get detailed information on the quality of the footage. It's amazing how much info is on the net and the extreme lack of detail.

DVD Quality. What does that mean? I've put good quality and poor quality videos on the same DVD!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Don't get me started on marketing spin doctors…

Cheers

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Just to revisit the tread…
    Like most , you are talking about QUANTITY not QUALITY..
    If I give you a pint of beer all you know, before you drink it ,is how much beer there is not how good it is.
    Franco

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools