Topic

Pants and Shirt Pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pants and Shirt Pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I want to make vapor barrier pants and long sleeve shirt out of cuben. Nothing fancy, as I will only wear them to sleep. Anyone have a pattern available..I was thinking of just tracing my pajamas?…:)

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Steve,
    An observation, perhaps unnecessary, however –

If you won't be wearing anything under the cuben consider a vapor barrier fabric that has some sort of 'flocking' to make it a bit less like sleeping in saran-wrap. Stephenson, 40 Below, and others use it to improve 'sensible' comfort.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Huzefa – thanks…not sure why I didn't check on BPL?

Greg, I'd like to use some nicer fabric as you mention, but then it adds weight. My VBL weighs ~5 ounces now, so I'm trying to come out lighter then that. I like the VBL, but it doesn't let me wear my cocoon pants or parka to bed…

I was just thinking that maybe I should use that cuben tape stuff instead of sewing these?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Steve

Tracing pyjamas is OK, just don't make the design any tighter. I tried that once, and the back split open! Allow plenty of slack.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I have not done any taping but it would certainly give you a flatter seam. And somewhere -Quest?- tape got a very good rating compared to sewing.

Keep us posted. Taping some cuben together is on my project list and I'd like to know how it goes.

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I made a vapor barrier top and bottom out of silnylon using the shell patterns at thru-hiker. If I were you I'd rethink the cuben idea. I found that unless I wear long underwear under the vapor barrier they don't really work. The VB clothing is supposed to let you sweat until the moisture against your skin is 70% but you need something that will absorb a bit of moisture right against your skin. Otherwise I found that the humidity in the VB would just build up, condense on the surface of the nylon and make for a very rude awakening when a few drops of cold water suddenly fall on the small of your back and run out the bottom hem into your sleeping bag. Unless you keep some moisture against your skin with a flocked liner or long underwear your skin doesn't reach that 70% humidity and the perspiration just has nowhere to go.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Greg, I just tested some of that cuben tape from Quest on two pieces of scrap cuben…left it overnight to dry (do I need to do that?) and I pulled them apart without much force in the morning – no damage to the material, the tape just let go. Maybe there is a better way to "design" the seams or a better product. I know others have taped seams but not sure what the best product would be…I remember reading about it a while back…gonna do some searching.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>I just tested some of that cuben tape from Quest on two pieces of scrap cuben…left it overnight to dry (do I need to do that?) and I pulled them apart without much force in the morning – no damage to the material, the tape just let go.

!!Wow, I can't get the tape off the cuben for love or money without destroying the fabric! What weight of cuben were you using, and was it the cuben tape (clear) or the mylar tape (white)??

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hi Lynn,
    I am using the 0.33 oz/yd weight cuben. The tape I have is the stuff from quest sold as double sided cuben tape. It is not clear, but leaves a white strip behind after removing the front and back (I guess that is mylar?). I thought it would hold really well, but it came off when I pulled them apart. I heard the material should fail before the seam…maybe I am doing something wrong?

hmmm, I just looked at my invoice, and the item number is '2307'. The website has the cuben tape as '2306' and the mylar as '2308'…weird.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Steve,

I have made pants out of the lightest Cuben.

See my thread here at BPL:

Cuben Fiber 1.2 oz Rain Pants – VB

I only sew my Cuben projects, I don't use the tape.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

>I just looked at my invoice, and the item number is '2307'. The website has the cuben tape as '2306' and the mylar as '2308'…weird.

Very weird. I've tried both the single-sided mylar and double-sided cuben tape, and they both have excellent holding power.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Bill, I've read all the skunkworks goodies. Unfortunately for me, your sewing skills are much better then mine…I saw that you used the liberty ridge pattern, but thought I could get away with something a bit more simple. With the tape not working well, it may be time to employ my mom again. :)

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Tha liberty ridge pattern is excellent if you can sew. I have had negative experience with sewn cuben, so prefer not to go down that route, especially with the 0.33oz stuff. I suppose I could sew something up and then just tape over the seams for reinforcement (not pyjamas…different project from cuben).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools