Topic

UL 3 season 1 week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists UL 3 season 1 week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Hey y'all!

So I finally put my kit down to paper. I have been trying to figure out what pack I'm going to get, the keystone in my UL excursion, for the better part of 2 months now, and decided I had better lay out my gear in PDF to see just what my volume capacity really is.

If you have the time, please take a look and offer criticism wherever you see fit: Jed's list! . I am particularly interested in what y'all have to say about what pack would do well for my kit. As you can see, I am leaning towards the MLD Exodus (with some possible tweaks by Joe at Zpacks) but please let me know if you think the volume of the pack is too much for my kit.

Items highlighted in red I intend to purchase but have not yet purchased. Weights highlighted in red I guessed at by looking at similar items on the net (I don't have any way to weigh things where I am). The first aid kit is kind of a big question mark. I feel like I am missing all kinds of things.

Thanks in advance and I hope you're all well. Happy February!

Jed

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Just made a few adjustments: Adjusted First List

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Hey y'all-

Made a few more adjustments, added a trowel. Jed's list

I'd really appreciate any advice, especially on what pack volume would work for my this gear and 1 week of food.

I hope all is well out there,

Jed

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Hey Jed,

First of all, nice gearlist.

I wouldn't be able to guess at what size pack you would need; but I can tell you that your listed gear would easily fit in an Exodus with one week supply of food. Depending on what kind of food you pack, it would probably pack to about where the rolltop expansion area on the Exodus begins. That is just a guess based on similar sized gear I pack in the Exodus.

Would that make the Exodus too big for you? I'm not sure.

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

List changed again. Main change? Realized the I need to ditch the Gatewood Cape, so I'm looking to retool my shelter system.

Craig-

It seems from your estimates that the Exodus would definitly be too big, but you say you aren't sure. What am I not considering?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Jed, I'm thinking like Craig. I have a gear list that I'm going to say looks to be about like yours… 5.5 lb base. I'm using a MLD Prophet (smaller than exodus) and it is not even full to the roll top with a couple of days of food in it. I'd could probably get a week of food if I used the full extension collar.

For shelter I use a ID Silponcho and a MLD superlight bivy.

Jamie

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Sorry, Jed.

What I meant was more of a question for you. Some people would prefer not to pack above the extension collar, where others might prefer to do so.

Frameless packs can be tricky things to pack; and one packing style may ride well on one person, but awful on another.

Personally, I prefer not to pack above the extension collar; so in your case, an Exodus would NOT be too big for me.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

deleted

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools