Topic

Titanium tent stakes: get them lighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium tent stakes: get them lighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Waugh!!
    I just got back from the woods where I used titanium “U” tent stakes that weigh about 0.1 oz. (2.5 grams) each. Through a rainstorm. They were ‘U’ stakes out of BPL’s titanium rod. If you haven’t used all yours up making Z stands, try them for tent stakes.

BPL’s rod is REAL thin, but the stakes push into the ground where larger diameter stakes would have to be pounded. Each one was 12″ rod, bent with a 7″ long leg and a shorter leg with a 3/4 inch flat top. U stakes seem to hold better than conventional single-leg stakes. These replaced steel U stakes of the same size which weighed 0.25 oz. each.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Vick,
    You are the one that mentioned using chopped up clothes hangers in a similar fashion, correct?

Using the rods is something I’ve kicked around ever since reading your post and seeing the rods come out on sale.

Glad to hear it works!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Josh,
    Warning, the tit rods are right on the edge of being too light. The coat hanger trick is really good. You get stakes that are lighter than the lightest tit stakes on the marker and they hold better. Making ‘u’ stakes from tit rod seems like the next step. Unfortunately, the size jumps from BPL’s 1/16 to 1/8″, and I doubt those would save much weight. However, there would be no question of their being strong enough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools