Topic

Backpacking with Dogs in SF Bay area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Backpacking with Dogs in SF Bay area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I'm having a difficult time finding places to backpack with my dog in the Bay Area, as most of the trails in the state parks are off-limits for dogs.

Was planning on checking out Ventana wilderness area, but it's closed due to the fire….so anybody know of any other dog-friendly backpacking areas close (within 2-3 hours) to the bay area?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Move to Oregon :).

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nate,

I have been running into that problem too.

I think that you have to think about going out to the Gold Country, Sacremento area and East of Sacramento.

The Bay Area bites for dogs and having fires.

-Tony

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I would have to echo Thom's statement. Every time I visit my daughter, who also lives in the SF Bay area, I'm reminded of how dog-unfriendly California is. That's one reason I would never live there.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Oregon offers great hiking, few users and true four seasons weather conditions. Also there is little if any work so you and your dog will have plenty of time to hike :)!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Couple of points:

Calif. State Parks don't allows dogs on trails, similar to National Parks, so that's quite limiting.

Ticks. Everywhere I've taken a dog on trails in the Bay Area or the coast, its accumulated ticks. Also have to keep it on leash to keep it out of the poison oak.

The Sierra Nevada is a whole lot easier with a dog, but a longer drive of course. Since we're deep into a drought most of the foothills are quite open, as are some exposed parts of the main range up to 5-6000 feet. You might check out some of the river drainages–Feather, Yuba, American, Stanislaus, etc.

Good luck,

Rick

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nate, Emmigrant Wilderness does allow dogs. Though, it is winter right now. Ventana might be difficult due to the fires over the summer. If I remember correctly, areas that are designated Wilderness area's are dog friendly.

Lucas Savageino

@geino

I have been having the same problem. The only place that I have found is Black Diamond Mines in Antioch. It is an East Bay Regional Park that allows backpacking with dogs. I live close by so I take my dogs there for day hikes alot. I have stayed at the backpack camp once and it was cool. The only thing I didnt like was having to pay an $8.00 reservation fee + a $5.00 dollar camping fee per camper in advance for something I thought should be our god givin right.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Lucas,

Thanks for the tip! That looks great….a lake big enough to swim in with beach access that allows dogs too!

Wow…just perfect. Can't wait for it to warm up enough to swim there….

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Dogs are ok in National Forests and Wilderness areas. I miss having a dog but the bay area is not dog friendly.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Just find a service that your dog can provide you, then go anywhere.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

I'm with Aaron on this, my dog is now my service dog, she helps with a problem I have, now she can go to any park or place we want, true freedom…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools