Topic

Spring Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Spring Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

Gear list for a 3day, 2night hike in April.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=paQVKBSRdeFZxj32kHeMeJg

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

any comments? or anyways i could go lighter?

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Location, temps?

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Well, it looks like you want a response and it doesn’t seem the BPL community is being much of a help. Course, it is Super Bowl Sunday, so I’ll give it my non-solicited watching football response. You and I share similar equipment, but I don’t know where you’re going or what temperatures you'll encounter, so I might be off with my comments:

Do you need the down pants? I’ve found I can wear just SmartWool long underwear just fine into the 30’s and possibly lower. Insulated pants are really for below freezing.

Do you need the full net bivy? In many places, bugs just won’t be a problem, and if they are, a headnet would be lighter. Most bug bivy’s are too restrictive anyway.

Do you need two pads? Talk with GG and they’ll tell you that Glen uses his single pad down to fairly low temperatures. Having given it a shot myself, I’d agree.

Do you need sunglasses? If you are somewhere other than dense forests, you’ll need them, so I’m just throwing this out there.

Nice list though.

Good luck.

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

thanks for the comments, im in manitoba, canada (theres my excuse for not realizing everyones watching the superbowl :P). The temps at night will probably get to around 0 to -5C, last year around this time i went out and i was cold in my montbell #3 bag with base layers (Capilene 2).

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Your list looks very similar to my mild winter list (I'm in South Carolina). You may not be getting many comments because that list is pretty buttoned up. There's always something to criticize but anything I'd add is personal taste only. Go have fun!

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

I second that your list is pretty tight…

I agree that the down pants might be overkill unless you need them to supplement your sleeping bag. My recent October trip saw temps down to 20F/-6C and I was fine with wind pants and long underwear as long as the rest of my body was covered well. Hats, gloves, good warm vest and high calorie food make you feel a lot warmer with no need for the insulated pants.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

I should add that I did wear lightweight polyester pants that have better wind resistant and insulation value that my rei sahara pants…

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

ABOUT YOUR CONSUMABLES data:

140 ounces of food fuel and water.
    that's 8 pounds 12 ounces.

2 liters of water is 70.4 ounces.
    leaving 69.6 ounces for food and fuel.

3 days of food should equal (approx.) 1.5 pounds (24 oz.) per person per day. 24 x 3 = 72 oz and that doesn't fit you numbers… It leaves no room for fuel.

Question, what's your food breakdown? Are you taking LESS than 24 oz per day (if so, right on!)

Also – Why carry two liters of water? Manitoba in spring should have lots of water running. Easy to walk from water source to water source. You should minimize how much water you carry. It's a real skill and it can be super valuable.

Unknown abc

@edude

Like Mike said, try to minimize the amount of water taken.

Also, try "cameling up" on water and food a few days before (and before you start hiking) the trip to make sure you're hydrated and full when you start!

Cheers

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

Thanks for the comments!

My food/water i just estimated, i wasn't really concerned about those numbers so im probably off a bit. I also put 2L of water just so i knew the max that id be carrying. I usually only have one platy filled, theres always a lake nearby here.

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

I've decided to get an exodus instead of the jam2, do you guys think i could get away with the prophet though? I want there to be enough room for a 5 day trip max, this gear list would be the most weight id be carrying since its early spring. I can get down to 5lbs in summer. What do you think?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools