Topic

Poncho: Arms get wet!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poncho: Arms get wet!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I searched a little and didn't find the answer, so forvive me if it's been covered.

My forearms get wet when using my Gatewood in the rain. Aside from a light rain jacket, any advice to keep my arms dry? (I thought about some waterproof/breathable "arm-warmer" type sleeves, but can't visualize a complete solution.)

This isn't a big deal in moderate/warm temps, but cold & wet sucks!

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Todd,

I recently switched to a MLD poncho tarp last year and experienced rain/hail once.

My solution was to wear my wind shirt under the poncho, which is something that I always carry with me anyway.

I found that I did not overheat while hiking and my arms stayed dry.

Had it been pouring cats and dogs, I think that the wind shirt would keep me less wet.

I think that an article by BPL states that when you wear a poncho, it is a matter of when you will get wet, not if.

Hope that this helps.

-Tony

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Todd,

A few weeks ago there was an article about a company making Tyvek rain suits. Their website also lists just tyvek sleeves. Combine these with light rain gloves and you'll stay dry.

Or, use a DriDucks rain jacket instead of a wind shirt. Since you only plan to use it in colder or inclement weather, you'll appreciate the DriDucks when setting up the cape in the rain.

Lastly, just keeps your arms inside the cape!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I have some tyvek sleeves to spare, if anyone wants some to go with their poncho.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

GoLite ponshos have side guy loops. I put a paracord loop in the guy loop and wear it over my middle two fingers. Add a belt to the poncho and you will stay a lot drier.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

T,

This isn't a big deal in moderate/warm temps, but cold & wet sucks!

I love my MLD poncho tarp in moderate/warm, but prefer my rain jacket/pants (old Precip or Driducks) for cold and wet. Just because you have a poncho and can reduce weight does not mean you have to do in weather that would lessen "your" experience.

Try tucking your arms underneath and wrapping some of the poncho. I did this in a heavy downpour in cool weather and it worked quite well in keeping me fairly dry.

Like above post, I too like using a wind shirt under if needed.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I think that an article by BPL states that when you wear a poncho, it is a matter of
    > when you will get wet, not if.

Well… yes, sort of, but with proper sleeves on my MYOG poncho I get slightly damp sleeves on my MYOG smock, but not really 'wet'. I stay reasonably warm even around freezing, and the smock does not have any DWR.

On easy country I do often pull my arms right inside the body of the poncho. They stay drier that way. However, this has a hazard with a close-fitting poncho done up right down the front: I fell over once and could not get my arms out fast enough to break my fall. So these days if I have my arms inside I leave the front partly open.

Cheers

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Everyone for the advice!

I have the same concern Roger mentioned about keeping my arms inside. Due to two acl knee reconstructions, hiking poles accompany me on each trip.

The other options all seem viable!

The helping hands are always extended on this site!!!

Todd

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

if you have an old compression style LS shirt (under armour cold gear or similar) you could cut the sleeves off and just wear them over your forearms. they'll get wet, but won't be soaked, won't have water dripping and runnign down your arms and the material should give you a bit of warmth…

SANDRA GILLESPIE KRAMER

@sandykayak

Locale: South Florida

Roger, how can it be a poncho if it has sleeves?

Capes and ponchos don't have sleeves.

sandy in miami

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Roger, I hear ya on the falling and can't get the arms out to break the fall.

I think they could be dangerous crossing creeks as well if measures are not taken to be safe. Falling in a deep creek wearing a poncho with a pack locked to your back and not being able to get out of it could be fatal.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger, how can it be a poncho if it has sleeves?

Cause that's what I call it.
    :-)

Cheers

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

Funny how you walk past something a hundred times and on the 101st time something clicks. wet-umbrella-bag-stand Slit the bottom fully, and enough down one side to accommodate your potentially beefy biceps. Insert hand through the new bottom opening and slide bag up arm. The "handle" at the top of the bag acts as a thumb loop. umbrella bag on arm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools