Topic

Harmony House soup mixes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Harmony House soup mixes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Does anyone have experience with re-constituting Harmony House soup mixes? I would like to take them out with me and re-constitute them using boiling water and a steamer bag.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have used them – they do work best if you can one pot them though and give them at least a 5 minute simmer before cozying them for 15-20 minutes.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Every time I'm in the market to resupply I browse the Harmony House Soups. There are so many that sound absolutely delicious. I always walk on by. The boil times are just too much. If I can't just rehydrate in boiled water for ten, or even fifteen, minutes, it's just not going to work for me. Years ago (1960's) I used to cook. No more… except for steam baking chocolate deserts. Chocolate doesn't count.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Now you've done it, Denis. No fair talking about chocolate unless you tell us more.

Hopefully you'll post a few recipes of what you're steambaking, or at least describe them with enough detail so the rest of us can try to approximate them. If not here, then maybe start a new thread.

And to stay out of trouble for hijacking this thread, I'll add that the Harmony House soups do taste wonderful, but they're not a pure freezerbag food because they need to simmer longer than what they get in a freezerbag, speaking from personal experience. My favorite is the Greek Lentil soup.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Rosie,
    Ya talked me into it. And, just in time for desert. I use Betty Crocker – Warm Delights. They're simple and come in several delicious flavors. There are two sizes of this product. Some are packaged in two small bowls and others are in one large single bowl.

Betty Crocker Cake Package
    The one I used is the "Molten Caramel Cake", in the larger single bowl. It calls for 1/4 cup of water.

Betty Crocker Kitchen Kit
    1. First assemble your kitchen kit. I use an Evernew Titan 400 Titanium cup to bake in.

Betty Crocker mix in cup
    2. Pour the cake mix into the 400ml. cup with 1/4 cup of water.

Betty Crocker stirred mix
    3. Stir well. Make sure you get out all the lumps.

Betty Crocker sauce drizzle
    4. Drizzle the Caramel sauce onto the top of the batter.

Bettey Crocker floating cup
    5. Place the cup into your pot and add enough water to float the cup. You must use a deep enough pot that the lid will fit on the pot.

Betty Crocker boiling pot
    6. Light stove and place pot on stove. When water boils, turn stove down to a low simmer. If you're using the large size mix, or two of the small mixes, allow to simmer for 10 minutes. If using one small mix simmer for 8 minutes.

Betty Crocker Parrot
    7. Play with the parrot while you wait. Ignore the smell of warm chocolate.

Betty Crocker Parrot 2
    8. Turn off stove when time is up and let sit for five minutes. Do NOT remove pot lid. Continue playing with parrot. Her name is Xquytl.

Betty Crocker cooking's done
    9. Remove pot lid. Lift out cup. Sit down in a comfortable place and enjoy the fruits of your labor. The parrot doesn't get any chocolate.

Betty Crocker Tasting
    Ahhhhhh! Now that's tasty.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If it weren't so late, I'd go to the store now to buy that mix! Great write-up. Was that Mannie, Moe, or Jack you used to boil the water in?

Ryan – you've got to admit that looks better than soup. Also, if you're going to make that kind of mess in your ti cup, you might as well simmer the soup in it first without going the freezerbag route, so 2 challenges are solved at once here – thoroughly cooked HarmonyHouse soup, and a warm chocolate dessert afterwards.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Rosie,
    That's Manny, a BPL Firelite SUL1100, with a Ti spoke bail handle.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I will say for at home use the soups are worth the money. They have a great taste and do fill you up :-)

Trying to remember when I posted the Chocolate Lava Cakes that I steamed in my silicone Wilton Silly Feet. Ohhhh….those were freaky good!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Ok, Denis, now for the really important question about your yummy dessert. How do you pronounce your parrot's name?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

In The Yucatan or Quintana Roo, I am told, it would be: Shh-koo-ee-tl. I pronounce it Skooeetl. She's a 15 year old Pionus Maximilian. Native to northern Argentina and southern Brazil.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

She is gorgeous!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Thanks Sarah. I'm very fortunate to have picked her from the hatch. Xquytl is calm and well socialized. And, being a Pionus, she's quiet. One of her favorite things is going to the farmer's market. She gets lots of treats.

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Thanks for the input! I think I may switch to a "100% dessert diet" while on the trail (I know my wife would DEFINITELY be into it).

The soup mixes look good, but I would agree with others in this thread who are after simplicity as well. I am actually going to try the Greek Lentil mix at home this weekend.

Sarah–I always appreciate your input (and your recipies)!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ryan, if you have a small crockpot, use it to make the soups at home :-) Tasty!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools