Topic

My first pack!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first pack!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Excuse my enthusiastic, praise-seeking ramblings, but I'm rather proud of myself for finishing my first pack…stoked I don't have to call it an "attempt"!!

I needed something new for my 7 year old son; everything at REI for kids weighs nearly 3 pounds (ridiculous for the size!) and all the UL kid's packs (MLD, etc.) cost WAY too much for me to buy for 2 children when they'll be outgrown soon.
    For $50 I have this pack and enough material to make two more…MYOG!!!

I went with the plans posted here from the 5 yards to SUL article, shrank them to fit, then added G4-style pockets, side compression straps, and a hip belt.
    It's sewn out of 2.2 oz coated ripstop and 200 denier coated oxford (back, bottom, and strap undersides).
    Everything weighs only 9 oz. finished and I still need to trim straps.1
    another…2
    and one more…3

Next job is one for my daughter, an SUL model for me, and some UL quilts for the kids.

Now he can carry my beer….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great job! I'm working on my first one. Your kid looks stoked, so you know it was worth it just for that. Get sewing and have a great time.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Wow, you did a great job with this one. But be careful that he doesn't get the myog bug, too, and start hogging your sewing machine :)

-Mark

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Looks great – that's some pretty beefy fabric you used. Any ideas on capacity?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It measures 11" wide, 7" deep, and up to 26" tall with extension collar.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Awesome! Way to get 'em started young!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> everything at REI for kids weighs nearly 3 pounds (ridiculous for the size!) and all the UL kid's packs (MLD, etc.) cost WAY too much for me to buy for 2 children when they'll be outgrown soon.

+1 though the Tarn 18 is pretty close to a pound. Unfortunately, it's just a bit small for what my 8 year old needs to carry though it has worked well for him. I've looked at your son's pack a couple times the past couple years but have been able to get by with REI packs. However, short of modifying a Flash 22, I think I'm stuck with making him one for next summer.

Looks like you just did a hybrid of the 5 yards to SUL pattern with some G4 tweaks, just shortening the straps and back.

I'm curious if you (or your son) had wished you had also made it a bit thinner though? It seems pretty wide on him.

Did he use some kind of pad to give it structure or did you just stuff and compress it? I am normally carrying his pad to give extra support to my pack (burrito) since I'm carrying a fair bit when he goes with me.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Great looking pack Craig! I need to make one for my daughter. I agree, most child packs from REI are HEAVY! My daughter's Deuter Fox 30 pack weighs over 2lbs. For now, it does the job as her TPW is 6 lbs.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Very nice!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That's exactly what I did Michael. The 5 yards to SUL pattern combined with my own pocket ideas. The hip belt wings were modeled after those on my GoLite Jam2.

Width was good for my son. I'm glad I built it the size I did as he's continued to use this pack. At 13 years old, he's barely outgrown it.

For inner structure I'd use a Thermarest Prolite 3/4, folded into a back panel. Not stiff, but enough structure as he's never carrying heavy loads.

Wow…time flies. I built this pack six years ago. It's still in great shape and gets used by my daughter now.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Can you comment on your son's size then and now? He seems fairly slender in the pics as is mine who is up to about 50" and 54 lbs now. I think his torso was 12-13" when I checked last summer. How much weight did your son carry with it back then and now?

Did you just get a G4 kit from Quest but use Jay's pattern instead? You used the same fabric Quest provides (and I assume pocket materials/hardware as well).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I bought all the materials for this pack through Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. I made the pattern myself as well, but based it mostly on that 5 yards to SUL article.

I can't remember torso size for my son, but I do know I intentionally made it an inch or two too tall so it would last. While that may sound like a poor fit, it doesn't matter when all he was carrying was his sleeping pad, bag, and spare clothing. I carried everything else.

I think my son typically carried about 5 or six pounds when we first started with this pack. He used the same pack in the Sierra last summer with me, carrying about 10-12 pounds total. I don't think he's ever had to carry much more than that. Keeping my kid's packs light has always been a priority as I want them to enjoy it. I've seen backpacking destroyed for a lot of people because they slogged with heavy loads.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I think my son maxed at 9 pounds with water in the Wind Rivers. Had a down bag, sandals, sleep clothes, jacket/gloves/hat and rain suit. Oh, and a small stuffed Pokemon. :)

As long as I can get one of my wife's sewing machines to work well, I shouldn't have too much problem.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That's awesome. Nicely done.

How long did it take? 20 hours?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools