Topic

Montrail Hardrock fit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montrail Hardrock fit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

I'm curious as to how the Montrail Hardrock shoes fit.

I wear a size 13 in street shoes, but often find a size 14 in running shoes is the best fit for my normal running shoes (Asics Cumulus).

What have people found about the sizing for Montrail Hardrocks?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

William, while it is best to try the shoe-fit for yourself, I take a size 11 Addidas shell toe, and find the size 11 hardrock to be a perfect fit for summer months (thin sock)…if you plan up beefing up the sock for colder months, maybe best to size up. Hope that helps you out a bit.

William Puckett

@beep

>>William, while it is best to try the shoe-fit for yourself, I take a size 11 Addidas shell toe, and find the size 11 hardrock to be a perfect fit for summer months (thin sock)…if you plan up beefing up the sock for colder months, maybe best to size up. Hope that helps you out a bit.

I was planning on wearing Smartwool light hikers (with liners), so a bit bulkier than what you wear. Thanks for the input.

Bill

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Rei has a sale on them now, item 781-531

I wear a 9.5 in most shoes, but my Hardrocks are a size 10 in darn tough socks.

William Puckett

@beep

>>Rei has a sale on them now, item 781-531<<

Good catch…nothing big enough for my large "dogs", tho. I'll probably have to go try things on for size. Mail order sure is convenient when you know what works size-wise, but shoes can be tricky.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

William, size can vary depending on the production run. I have the Montrail CTC that was about 1/2 size smaller than marked, but the Namchies, which use the same sole as the Hardrock and are basically the same except they're mid height, were spot on. I would just order a couple of sizes from Zombie Runner and send the one back that doesn't fit.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Shoe fit is such a personal thing that I almost hate to give shoe fit advice, but here goes. I have a pair of '07 Hardrocks which I bought in store, on sale at the Sacramento REI. My shoe size as measured with the Brannock device is 10 1/2 D. I found the 10 1/2 normal width Hardrocks to be too narrow, so I went with the 11 wides. Keep in mind that I tried out several sizes and widths in the store and the 11 wides seem to fit my feet the best. I wore one pair of Smartwool Adrenalin socks to try on the shoes because that is what I wear when I am hiking.

I have worn them off and on for two years of hiking and find them to be a good all around shoe with as much torsional stability and sole protection as some boots. They are not perfect, but they are better than most and I am very happy with them.

William Puckett

@beep

I fully agree about variability in shoe shape and fit AND about variability with different production runs of the same shoe. I get curious about sizing when I'm contemplating mail-order (fits of winter boredom!!)shoes. In a more rational state of mind, I'm fully supportive of the fit/size drill…
    1. Shop late in the day (when feet are bigger).
    2. Wear your "normal" hiking socks/sock combination.
    3. Take your time in the store…walk around, use any ramps or inclines they may have.
    4. Try on different makes/models/styles to find the sweet spot of fit.
    5. After selecting your favorite, take them home and wear for an extended period indoors to verify the in-store impressions. If there's any doubt, take 'em back an try on something different (even the same model, same size but a different pair could be a different fit).

I appreciate input from those who are willing to share experiences, good or bad. Thanks!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools