Topic

synthetic winter bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) synthetic winter bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Looking for a synthetic winter bag. Around 10F. Any suggestions?

Thanks Bob

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Not that I’ve been a big user of synthetic bags in awhile—I’ve recently seen the updated Mountain Hardwear line. They look well made and some are really bomber–designed for Winter Alpinism– what with W/B shells , face gaskets and draft collars. Not the cheapest. A 10 degree rating is kind of in between many companies offerings. Usually see Zero degrees or 20.
    There’s always the venerable N.F. Snowshoe.

‘Ware temperature ratings, of course. For 10 degrees, it should have upwards of 6 inches of total loft in order for that temp. rating not to fall into the realm of total fantasy. Of course you could uprate the bag. Don’t forget VBLs. Good luck.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

try montbell

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Campmor has a sierra designs 10 degree polarguard 3d bag on sale for $85.00,paul bunyon.I agree this is a little bit of a hard number to shoot for. If you can wade through his talk wiggy’s has a bag in that range.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

OK, well, I guess the reason that I’m looking at Winter synthetic bags is that I want to get out there this weekend and I don’t have my sleep system together. My original plan for the winter was to layer a Patagonia DAS, Cocoon Pants, Arc-X, and Arc-Cocoon. Well, the Cocoon Pants and Arc-Cocoon are MIA so I need to come up with something else. I have the other components. Do you think layering a DAS, fleece pants, EMS Velocity (30 degree rated primaloft bag/comfortable 40), and Arc-X on the outside would work? The Arc-X won’t fit inside it. I’m not happy about putting the down on the outside but there isn’t anyway around it as I see. It would be squished on the inside. If I could squeeze it on the inside, I definitely couldn’t wear the DAS. How long till the Arc-X fails from condensation?

Thanks
    Bob

kevin davidson

@kdesign

What’s your shelter going to be, Bob?
    I think for a weekend trip, your Arc X is not going to fail from condensation. Your present synthetic bag and DAS are going to protect it from body generated moisture. So, no worries. Your system should work for those conditions, so long as you have adequate insulation below you. You could also buy or make a simple VBL for inside which would really take out any question marks regarding your system, if you tend to sleep cold.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Kevin,

Thanks for the response. This will be my first winter trip (ever). Time to take the plunge! I plan on going up to Dolly Sods WV. Temps should be around 10-15 degrees at night.

Shelter will be a BD Firstlight. For pads, I plan on using a 59″ length 3/8″ GG Thinlight, BMW Torsolite, and my backpack. Do you think that will be adequate? I also have access to a Prolite 3 3/4 and a GG Nightlite 3/4.

Bob

kevin davidson

@kdesign

That Firstlight will help keep you warmer–good tent.
    The first pad combo would work for me but a small pad for the feet is advisable unless the pack has a pad built in. A quarter inch pad or more would suffice. The 2nd combo is more luxurious and more weight. A good compromise, since this is your 1st Winter trip and there are questions, perhaps, of your tolerance for cold, is the Torso-lite and the 3/4″ pad.
    cheers.
    KD

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

with temps around 10-15 degrees, you could get away with just the arc X.
    you just have to have a good clothing system. I actually slept at 15 degrees in a 45 degree degree synthetic bag in the dolly sods this year under a tarp during a snow storm dropping 10-12 inches of snow. even though I was not too uncomfortable, I will probably not try this again because it was a one night trip so I still had some calories left from the large amount of food I ate before leaving. But my nunatak arc ghost will keep me warm at these temps, and will be a competitor with my montbell #2 down bag for UL winter trips .
    once again, a warm layering system is the key :-)

Aaron Pope

@aaronpope

I’ve also been looking for a winter synthtic bag, one that is big enough to wear a clothing system inside (softshell jacket and pants + Patagonia DAS and MH Chugach pants) I know that with that clothing I can use a 30F bag to get down to 0. I sleep pretty warm.

But which bags are sold with that kind of width? Do the Montbell stretch bags stretch easily enought to wear insulation inside them, or is there another bag that would be better suited?

The upcoming Arc X Sythetic sounds awesome, but details on it and it’s release date are spotty, so don’t know if I can rely on that.

I’ve got a Firstlight tent(which I love) and an Thermarest 3/4 winter pad to sleep on.

Aaron

Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

I’ve been wearing my DAS parka and belay pants inside a Integral Designs North Twin 10F, reg length, size BROAD. Almost all ID bags are available in this option, if you special order from them. I’m 5’9, 160lbs and this setup fits me perfectly. I love this system, and I definitely don’t see myself going back to changing in and out of clothes in winter temps anytime soon.

Thomas Travis

@tbtravis

You might take a look at Campmor, they have a few wide synthetic bags. Sierra Designs has the LX20 at 70″ and the Paul Bunyan at 71″. North Face has the Mammoth at 68″ and I believe they still sell a synthetic expander panel zips into their bags to add 8-9″ of girth. This could make the Cat’s Meow or Snowshoe bags a possibility. Mountain Hardware synthetic bags have some sort of expandible feature, but I’m not sure how well it works in cold weather.
    Finally, since you are already into the layering concept, take a look at a quilt. Fanatic Fringe sells these and you can make one from a kit from Ray Jardine. I have a down quilt that I like, and it works well for layering.
    If you go with a quilt, just make sure it is going to be wide enough to accomodate your extra layers. The standard quilt from Fanatic Fringe is pretty narrow, but they will make a wider one for a few $$ more.
    All of these bags are going to be pretty bulky, so make sure your pack can handle the extra volume. The use of compression bags is not recomended by many as it can drastically reduce the longevity of the synthetic fill.

Tom

Aaron Pope

@aaronpope

Thanks everybody. I didn’t realize the FF quilts could be sized wide. I’ll check into that first. Hopefully the toe box is deep enough to accomodate my AT boot liners at the very bottom.

Aaron

Chris Harvey

@cch

You might check out Big Agnes as well. They have pretty lightweight synthetics rated to 0 and 15 degrees that are very roomy in the long version. I just purchased the Farwell 0 degree for my wife and although we haven’t field tested it yet, it appears to be a well made bag, very loft and only weighing 3 lbs. 8 ounces in the regular version.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools