Topic

Tyvek as a tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tyvek as a tarp?

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I got a lab coat from here, seems to withstand the occasional burst just fine, not sure I would want to use it for extended periods in a wicked downpout though… btw, they run a little ‘tight’ so I needed a bigger size…

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Joshua,
    How much does that lab coat weigh in whatever size you bought? And the price seems ridiculous… tyvek coveralls for less than $6 seem like they are at least worth trying out… and the shirts/pants. yeah, they are ugly. but at the weight these might come in at and the cost, it seems like they could have a great fit in a gear closet.

Have you done much rain testing in them?
    thanks.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Check out Northern tool and equipment. (Sorry I don't Know how to post a link). They sell a one piece coverall that doesn't seem so disposable for 8 bucks. They call them AO Safety Coveralls.
    Remember that tyvek is not a water barrier but a vapor barrier. Think of Gore-tex for your house. Some varieties also have an inside and outside orientation to function properly. I wash mine with tennis balls. (I think Turbo The Wonderdog enjoys the fresh taste:)

Hike Hard. Hike Often.

billy

Unknown abc

@edude

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

I’ve been investigating the idea of using Tyvek (oflashspun high-density polyethylene fiber papers) to MYOG some bikepacking bags for a go at the Colorado Trail next summer. Consequently, I’m interested in sewing the fabric, and I’ve seen plenty of recommendations against this, but glues and contact cements aren’t likely to hold up given even the slightest vibrations I’ll encounter along the way. Then, I encountered this.

https://www.materialconcepts.com/pdf/tyvek-sewing-washing.pdf

Needle and thread recommendations per the product data sheet plus washing instructions.

Booyah the internets

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting timing, as i recently saw a tyvek suit i had bought awhile ago, and haven’t used much and had stored away, but was thinking of what i could do with it.

Clearly the tyvek suit is neither water resistant enough or durable enough for rain wear in and of itself.  However, combined with a windjacket (with the tyvek underneath) with near permanent DWR (like Houdini, EPIC treated ones, etc) or a short, simple poncho made out of water resistant/breathable fabric (WRB), it would work excellently.  If doing the latter, i would put tyvek tape or something else on the shoulder areas to protect it from the abrasion of the pack.

The nice thing about tyvek of all kinds, is that it’s made out of high density polyethylene plastic, which is one of the most conductive materials commonly used for clothing/wear.  It’s conductivity isn’t that far away from water.  So on a muggy, warm or hot day, with light rain, wearing this directly against ones skin would be more cooling than any other water resistant clothing system.  I was originally going to say just “water resistant system”, but i figured some smart alec might say something like–not better than wearing no clothes in the rain.

William S
    BPL Member

@wsafley

Locale: Eastern NC

I’ve sewn tarps, backpacks, stuff sacks, and bivys out of Tyvek housewrap.  They have all held up well with moderate use.  I think a medium stitch length is critical to avoid the postage stamp effect.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I found some stuff in a free box that is like tyvek but even thicker. It’s about 18″ or maybe 2′ wide. I don’t know where I put it otherwise I’d go find it, but it’s definitely some kind of construction material similar to tyvek. I think it might work for making things such as a backpack or a tarp but I haven’t tried anything.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools