Topic

best treks abroads? >200 miles? solitude? lovely?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips best treks abroads? >200 miles? solitude? lovely?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hey Dave,

I assume you don't mean 2-4 weeks without resupply, so it can't be too remote from civilisation.

Solitude is often more about attitude than the particular trek or region you hike in. By that I mean that most hut-to-hut trekkers stay on the trail 'highway', rarely take side-trips and almost never venture off trail. So you can do fantastic treks in solitude even in western Europe where you are seldom far from towns or huts. There are often all sorts of alternative routes you can plan which will avoid almost everyone.

Good question though. I'm interested in hearing the responses. My favourite trekking grounds are the pyrenees (France) and anywhere in Nepal (there are hundreds of alternatives to the crowded yak-route to everest base camp!). I've always wanted to hike in the Hindu Kush (Pakistan), Patagonia and perhaps Western China. I don't much like hiking in the heat so that rules out a large part of Australia and Asia.

ps. my number one pick would be Nepal. You can do some simply amazing walks there and the scenery is super-spectacular. Get off the beaten track a little and you will have the mountains to yourself (well, except for the odd Nepali!).

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Hi.

I've down a lot of international trekking. Peru comes to mind first. You can get away from the crowds by sticking to the shoulder seasons in the Cordilleras Blanca, Huayhuash and Vilcanota. (May, Sept-Oct) You can arrange for locals to resupply you on certain dates with their pack animals, and you can certainly explore for a couple hundred miles (few weeks). I would place the cordillera Vilcanota at the top of the list. You can do a very extensive trip around Auzangate and going out as far as Quelcayya ice cap. Many high passes are becoming ice free due to global warming which is permitting circuits that where much more difficult before.

Nepal as well ( Rowaling, Kanchenjunga); India ( think Ladahk, Zanskar, in September / October cold but quiet)Sikkim; China:Yunnan nice hike around Kawagebo with thousands of Tibetan pilgrims); Kyrgyzstan: hike along the western side of the Tien Shan easier to access than western China.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

for long hikes
    – from personnal experience i would say Iceland, lots and lots of space, stunning views, and you can choose the degree of solitude you want.
    – from what i have read / the photos i have seen Greenland seems great too, i plan to try it in 2009.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I got the impression from the Backpacker articles that you could time it right, miss the crowds, and hit the best weather.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Which treks were in the backpacker articles?

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I'd suggest checking out Cicerone Press, a publisher of good guidebooks for popular walking, backpacking, mountaineering and more destinations around the planet. The web site is handy, as you can access good overview info and a few photos for each guidebook.

http://www.cicerone.co.uk

Happy trails,
    Mike

Rob England

@wallnut2

In 2006-2007 I hiked the entire Great Wall….took about 8 months to do the whole thing, but you could do the most restored bits from Badaling to Simatai in a couple weeks. Would also allow you to choose your level of solitude…plenty of medium sized cities with guesthouses, restaurants, and stores….or you can camp in relative seclusion within sight of the Wall. Beijing is also only a bus ride away.

I would say New Zealand, but you really should go there for more than a couple months.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools