Topic

Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Great photos, Chris. I never had the opportunity to hike that area except in the summer. It looks as good in the winter as it did in the summer greenery.

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

Yeh, it's a great part of the world; Chris capture's it really well with his imagary and words. I've had some fantastic times in the Cairngorms:Cairngorms winter '08

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Thanks for the comments John and Peter. Peter, that's a good photo – it really captures the vastness of the high Cairngorms.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

Wow, gorgeous photos. You are lucky to be near such amazing terrain.

John Manning
    BPL Member

@pctjohnbadger

Locale: Stainforth

Splendid photos Chris – what a contrast between these and your autumn Cairngorm photo essay. Could be different planets. I've been through the 'Gorms many times but never enjoyed that much snow – how fortunate you are to be on the doorstep.

Marianne van Ginhoven

@mvanginhoven

Locale: The Netherlands

They are wonderful photos, but might it be possible to show as a slide show together with the commentary? That would be nicer to watch.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Nice photos. They're more inspiration to me, and I'm sure others, to get out in the cold!

Your description speaks of 100+ mph winds and cliffs hidden by clouds not to mention not much daytime hours. Ironically, such adverse conditions produced really beautiful pictures.

I'd believe that this series combined with your Fall article has the potential to increase Scotland's tourism. Beam me up, Scotty!

Norman Bradley

@normanb

Locale: New York

Chris, great photos.
    I thought it was a pretty desolate place in the summer. Some of these pics make it look a bit like the South Pole.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Thanks for all your comments, everybody.

I think the Cairngorm Plateau does look more desolate in summer than winter. I think it's beautiful in both seasons.

At present there is more snow on the plateau than in the pictures and I am hoping to be ski touring up there later this week.

Jonas Bodenäs
    BPL Member

@greenjuice

Locale: Göteborg

Woow, what beautiful photos over the landscapes in Scotland. I've been once in Scotland where I walked at the West Highland Way.

I wonder one thing, according to your blog. You used Sigma DP1, right? What did you think about it? Is the camera suitable for nature photography generally?

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Th DP1 produces great results – the best from any compact – but is slow so it's very much a landscape camera and not an action one. It also has a fixed focal length lens rather than a zoom. My review of the DP1 should appear on BPL soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools