Topic

Tyvek Tarps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tyvek Tarps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Unknown abc

@edude

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have a Tyvek tent footprint that I've occasionally rigged as temporary shelter like for lunch. I've never slept under it however.

Unknown abc

@edude

I have always been intrigued by caterny tarps and plan to make one out of Tyvek. Cheap, easy, and cool.

My plans are for it to 8' long, 8' wide in the front, and taper down to 6' in the back. Insert some grommets and voila'!

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Not to get too off topic but I think I read a thread here about putting tyvec in the washing maching to soften the material. has anyone tried this? Will it degrade the material?

I like my tyvec ground sheet but it is ridged and noisy. I may try one as a tarp if it were less noisy.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Daniel,

No problems with washing Tyvek. Just use plain water. Set the machine on delicate with a full tub of water. Tames the Tyvek, BUT, it will shrink a good 5%.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I put a sheet of Tyvek in my top loading washing machine and washed it with liquid Tide in hot water on the heavy duty cycle – twice. Then put it in the dryer on low heat for an hour. It got crinkled up but wasn't what you'd call soft. Not nearly as soft as the Tyvek Henry used in my Tarptent Sublite. It was still about as "waterproof" as the original house wrap. I didn't measure the shrink. Just wanted to see what would happen. Result: mostly nothing (shrink notwithstanding).

I have been using a Tyvek House Wrap ground cloth for my Evolution 2P for three years and it is holding up fine. And, it's multi-purpose. Shake it to scare away critters.

Edit: There's a Tyvek House Wrap under the Sublite in my avatar. You can see the Tyvek/Tyvek Tape tie-outs in the photo. I recommend it for use as a ground cloth. Protects the floor of my highly valued shelters.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Cool, so this means you can by tyvek at home depot? I was just at OSH looking for tyvek, but I didn't see any. I did see some snazzy tyvek coveralls there, though.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Home Depot is where I get mine. Comes off a 12' wide roll. Use Tyvek tape to put house wrap Tyvek together. It's tough stuff. I've never had a joint fail.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can get the softer (thinner and lighter) versions of Tyvek from some kite building suppliers. I like the construction version, but it is noisy.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

There's been quite a few other posts on tyvek, check them out as well.

MYOG – Tyvek v/s Nylon

MYOG: tyvek ground cover / bivy combo

Tyvek as a tarp?

Or just type Tyvek into the search box…

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i made a tyvek tarp with a cat cut ridgeline. i used the sixmoon designs nightwing plans (free). i just didn't make the bug skirt. it fits 2 quite well and with stakes and lines weighs 18oz. i have slept through an all night light rain with no drips or any other issues. i used contact cement for glue. it seemed to be the best, i know others have used many other glues, but my contact cement works well. i washed my tyvek twice to soften it up and it worked well. all in i guess i have about $10 invested between stakes and glue. don't bother buying tyvek, just look around your town for construction and ask the guys for scraps.

Frand004 Dude

@frand004

I've slept under and on Tyvek almost every trip I've ever been on. 90% of the time we don't even pitch the top. Just throw out the tarp and crash. I just purchased a new roll; 9'x150' was 170$ out my local building supply store.

There are a lot of fancy designs out there and great things to do…if you don't want to mess around with it..just cut off some rectangles and rock it. Pics in the links:

http://picasaweb.google.com/frand004/JohnMuirTrail2009#5356855188506287330

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

Okay, I have lots of tyvek in the workshop that my husband picked up for me at a construction site. I made a ground cloth from it for my sisters tent and now I am very intrigued as to how to make the tarp. Will it hold gromets? How to make the tie outs etc. Best glue if I need to piece it together? Photos? All advice welcome. What can I anticipate a tarp approx 8×10 to weigh?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools