Topic

condensation inside PacLite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) condensation inside PacLite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ivo zlatinov

@ivaylo

This is a question for the gurus, the scenario follows:

~65-70F, biking in moderate steady rain w/ PacLite top + bottom shell, no overheating (base layers dry). Rain beads beautifully on shells, under feels dry and comfortable. Some time after arriving home / at work i check the shells and see they are damp inside, especially in the sleeves and bottom of legs, really a wet layer / film. Butt + back are dry / no wet film.

Is this condensation or can the shells be leaking? why would there be condensation if i didn’t overheat / sweat? can this be condensation caused from differences in temps outside and inside? How to avoid this in the future?

thank you very much!
    ivo

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

This is might be insensible perspiration condensing on the cool inner surface of the jacket.

I found the following expanation of types of perspiration here

We perspire in two different ways. Sensibly and insensibly. Sensible perspiration is sweat that is excreted in large amounts and is noticeably moist on the skin. Insensible perspiration is sweat that evaporates from the skin before it becomes moisture and we are therefore unaware of it.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I dont know if leaking is your problem, but if it is you may solve it by sealing the seams in the shoulders, if not you may find modifing your jacket to include pit zips improves ventilation.

since the moisture was mostly in the sleeves and legs, there may be water coming in from the openings in the cuffs, elastic may solve this problem, or even a ruber band around the rists and ankles.

ivo zlatinov

@ivaylo

Jim – thanks for this, probably this is the answer I was looking for

Ryan: thanks for the tips; the seams on both pieces are taped already and i have pit zips (as well as core pockets) which I use; the shells also have elastics / cuff tabs but I wore them a bit loose so this could explain the dampness build-up there

cheers
    Ivo

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

When biking, the arms are most exposed to the wind and convective heat loss, maybe that’s why your insensible perspiration condensed there where the shell fabric had a lower temperature

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools