Topic

First Aid Kit – what’s in your’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First Aid Kit – what’s in your’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Unknown abc

@edude

Here's what's in mine:

(which hapens to go in a ziploc baggie)

In pill bottle:
    1.2 Knuckle Bandages
    2.4 Butterfly Bandages
    3.1/3 oz. Triple anti-biotic ointment
    4.8-200 mg. Ibuprofen in mini ziploc
    5.6-500 mg. Tylenol in mini ziploc
    6.1 needle (for popping blisters and removing splinters)
    7.3ft. Duct Tape (wrapped around pill bottle)
    9.1 in.by 1 in. bar of Ivory in mini ziploc

Wrapped around Bic Lighter:
    3ft. Gauze Tape

The whole thing weighs 3 ounces.

This is enough for most minor injuries, and I've got enough stuff in my pack to improvise for the bigger things.

What's in your's?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

This is mine (more or less). I might adapt it to different situations:

http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-first-aid-kit.html

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I combine my 1st aid and foot care into one sturdy, waterproof 6×6" Aloksak.

1 irrigation syringe
    1 needle-nose forceps
    2@ 2×3" Tergaderm self-adhesive pads
    4@ 1" Bandaid strips
    5 Butterfly bandages
    8 alcohol swabs
    2@ 0.5 gram triple antibiotic
    2@ 2@ Immodium AD tablets
    12@ 200 mg Ibuprofin tablets in mini-ziplok
    2@ 500 mg Ciprofloxacin tablets in mini ziplok
    12@ 5/500 Vicodin tablets in mini ziplok

0.5 oz tincture of benzoate
    2@ 3×6" Moleskin sheets

Note that you'll need a prescription for Cipro and Vicodin. I've also carried Flagyll in areas where Giardia is known to be fairly common. Talk to your doctor. Most will give you small amounts on a one-time basis if you have a good reason – like a long hike where you could be several days from help.

Irrigation syringes are almost impossible to find any more, but your doctor can get them for you. They are ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL for cleaning wounds, especially deep wounds.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I've also carried Flagyll in areas where Giardia is known to be fairly common.
    Not a lot of point in doing that. It takes about 10 days for Giardia to become significant. Most walkers will be home by then. If you think you have caught Giardia in the outback, it is far more likely to be some sort of gastro.

> Irrigation syringes … are ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL for cleaning wounds, especially deep wounds.
    Have to say I have never carried one in my life.
    You could try using your toothbrush … :-)

Cheers

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Roger –

You're right that most hikers have no need of Flagyll. However, those of us who hike long distances (multi-week/months) won't be home within ten days, and Murphy says that "the 10th day" will occur along the trail at least three days from the nearest medical facility. For long distance hikers, carrying Flagyll in appropriate areas can be a wise investment.

Ask any doctor about the value of properly irrigating wounds. Personally, I surely don't want my toothbrush – or anyone else's – in a wound.

Unknown abc

@edude

For irrigating, why not just use your Platy w/drinking hose and squeze for more pressure?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bob

True enough for long distance hikers. But maybe carrying some form of water treatment might be better? After all, there's a lot more out there than just Giardia l.

Cheers

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

maybe it can double as a pill protector or tinder safe?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

First Aid/Repair/toiletry whittled down from 2 pounds of stuff (3' of baling wire and 1/2 roll duct tape…) to about 6 ounces. I think the following is fairly complete:

-Leukotape "P"- 10' wrapped around a big pill bottle. For foot care, bandaging, or gear repair.
    -Tooth brush- Baby size (big head but small handle)
    -Toothpaste- 1/2 full travel size tube.
    -Dental floss- Sample size. For cleaning teeth or sewing gear.
    -Needle for sewing or piercing.
    -extra bic lighter

-Zinc oxide antibiotic cream- Also called "unscented diaper ointment". For injuries, chafing, or nappy rash. Tiny bit in a tiny tub. Worth its weight in gold.
    -Hydropel cream- to protect feet from getting soggy while walking in wet shoes – (I haven't used it yet)

-Benadryl. 1/2 tablet per day in mini-ziploc. Mostly as a sleep aid but just in case for allergies.
    -Ibuprophen. 4 tablets per day in mini-ziploc. Brought 2 for routine overnight theraputic uses, 2 extras if I need to share or get extra sore.
    -Immodium. 2 tablets in foil pack. Just in case.

-Multi-vitamin. 1 per day
    -"Triple-Flex" Glucosamine/chondritin. 2 per day.

-Dr. Bronners soap. Don't use often, just as a weekly laundry thing. Would be useful for cleaning a dirty road rash.
    -Baby Wipes. 2 per day, dried out. Wonderful things. Use for evening washdown before bed.
    -Toilet Paper. 10 squares/day just to be safe. Better to come home with extra than the alternative.

I also have a small swiss army knife and a water bottle with a squirt top for general surgery and irrigation needs.

Unknown abc

@edude

Not to start a war here, but 10 squares a day!?!?!
    Isn't that just a leetle bit, um, shall we say,…overboard???

Evan

David Loome

@davidloome

Locale: American Southwest

-Victorinox Classic mini knife with the plastic sides and nail file thingy removed: Just the little scissors and blade.
    -Tweezers.
    -A few feet of duct tape wrapped around a piece of drinking straw.
    -Mini roll of gauze.
    -Three tiny single use packets of topical antibiotic.
    -Half dozen big Ibuprofen tablets.

Weighs maybe 1.5 oz or so. After 10,000 miles of hiking, the only things I've found truly indispensable are duct tape and the tweezers- Damn cactus. All the time. Usually prickly pear. Grr.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

2 small points.

Adult male dose for ibuprofen is 600-800mg for a really good effect (you've packed only 2 doses). Could consolidate to Aleve 440mg for the equivalent dose. Different people react differently to the drugs so try on a headache at home first.

Also human mouths have a lot of nasties. I wouldn't use your toothbrush on wounds. People have gone to the operating room for mouth bug exposure to deep wounds into joints (ie fight bite).

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

For me

Motrin works best for back or muscle aches and it's okay for headaches.

Tylenol works best for headaches, okay for muscle aches, not much good for back aches.

Aleve doesn't seem much use for anything.

So I carry enough Motrin for 200 mg routine dose every night plus plenty to spare if I get sore (4 pills per day in the kit). Last summer I ran across two people who had hurt their knees and one of them was very happy to receive an extra 20 motrin pills.

Jim

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools