Topic

Question for solo double wall tent users

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for solo double wall tent users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I've read that solo double wall tents are tight enough that arms often press into the sides of the tent. When this happens, do your down bags compress and develop cold spots and does moisture form at the contact points?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If you are looking for a wider double walled solo tent, look at the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. It is much wider for the coffin type solo shelters such as the MSR Hubba, REI QD T1, and SD Velox 1.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

SANDRA GILLESPIE KRAMER

@sandykayak

Locale: South Florida

And I recently got the SS Velox 1 and hate it. waaay too narrow, condensation (and it was in Florida – no rain – average weather), and awkward to exit.

It has a small "pole" that extends the vestibule, but I couldn't make it stay taut. Guess I need to set it up again and work on that…and my attitude. :)

Tried to return but vendor said, "No, cos it had been used."

sandy in miami

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Sandy…can I ask if it was an online retailer you purchased it from? and if so who?

BTW I felt the same way about the Hubba…as I heard someone say "a nylon coffin".

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nylon coffin (TM) is exactly the term I used to describe the Hubba, the REI T1, and just possibly the Hilleberg Akto (judging from the specs… although I do acknowledge that the floor plan's pentagon shape might give one a feeling of more space).

Answering OP's question, I would be leery of buying any tent where any part of the sleeping bag might come in contact with the walls — taking into account reasonable sleeper movements as well. I wouldn't worry about cold spots as that requires actual pressing against the tent wall(s) — but what I would worry about is moisture.

Condensation can form in any tent. A small amount is harmless — unless your sleeping bag comes in contact — which can be a real annoyance — or downright dangerous in cold temps.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nah, it wouldn't be appropriate for my three-season needs.

It's not just the relatively narrow floor plan (I used to own a SMD Lunar Solo so I can appreciate the pentagonal floor plan) — but also the slanting ceilings where you can sit up only under the apex. I need overall roominess — like the Rainbow or the SL2. I am a space hog, remember? :)

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I agree with Brad Roger's above. I love my Big Agnes SL1 and I bought it because it is wider than most solo tents. I am 6ft at about 190 so I appreciate the width. I also like to have space for gear. This tent weighs in at 42oz including 8 stakes. I do not use a footprint.

Clifford Sax

@csax6364

Locale: East Sussex

Benjamin, For a solo space hog I would have thought that the Hex / Shangri-La 3 can't really be bettered for space/weight ratio. How married are you to the double wall? The Shangri-la offers various components / set up options that might well suit your particular needs.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools