Topic

Adult beverages in the backcountry.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Adult beverages in the backcountry.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Allison,
    The alcohol & water both evaporate thru the cask which is known as the "angel's share". I would assume that many factors such as the porosity of the white oak casks, the surface tension of water molecules, the amount of air in the cask after fluids evaporate, the relative differences in the volatility of ethanol vs. H2O, the size of the cask (which varies greatly), & possibly even what the cask was previously filled with (American whiskey, sherry, port,rum, etc.)would all have an effect. Suffice it to say that I haven't a clue as to why the water would evaporate in greater concentration than the ethanol! I think I'll have a wee dram of 12 YO Macallan & think about this for a while! ;)

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Alison, alcohol does evaporate through the barrels. This is known as the "angel's share". When you visit a warehouse full of casks you can smell it! If Scotch whisky is kept in a barrel long enough the alcoholic strength may decline so much that it can no longer legally be called whisky. Most whisky is still pretty strong when bottled however so it's diluted to 40-46% alcohol. If bottled as cask strength it's usually 50-60% alcohol. (I have some magnificent cask strength Laphroaig that is 55.7% alcohol).

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

ahhh two of my most favorite topics in life. Alcohol and backpacking

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

I agree Ken. Nothing like good scotch/tequila/wine and backpacking for me. Never been much of a gin man, but I have recently gotten into scotch.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

ashley said: "the Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet 2007 is a surprisingly good vintage and on special for $8.50/bottle"

I just saw that at my local supermarket, on sale for $US13
    I opted out and grabbed some little boomey shiraz since its easier to justify ruining a $7 wine with platy "flavor". I'll keep the Koonunga for dinner at home. Thanks for the interest, i'll keep it on my list of wines to try.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I had the Little boomey at Outback, seemed ……….not good. YMMV. I had a friend the other night open a bottle of Scotch called "Dallas Dhu", 30 years old. I think it ruined me for the stuff I usually drink. I like the idea of cask strength scotch for hiking, but where to find it….

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Everclear for me. It's simple math. 1 pint of 190 proof is like 2 pints of 95 proof. Twice the booze for the same weight. 1 part Everclear, 3 parts water, and crystal light lemonaid to taste = Rocket Fuel.

I love whisky. Try Elijah Craig it is very good. This is what I pack if I'm not in the mood for Rocket Fuel. I'm in the 20-15% splash of water camp.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Joe,
    You can usually find cask strength scotch at larger beverage stores with larger selections. Macallan, Laphroaig, & Aberlour all make cask strength offerings & all are about 25% more expensive than their similarly aged brethren. Be careful, however, as I once had a friend show me how to make a "snow angel" in a loose gravel parking lot at a college football game after imbibing the Macallan variety!!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

A good box wine we drink at home all the time is Black Box wine. It's as good as 2 Buck Chuck.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools