Topic

Aquamira tablets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Aquamira tablets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

Locale: North Georgia

So, I just got my first batch of Aquamira tablets in the mail. I was planning on using them as my water purification method on an upcoming 5 day backcountry trip. Up until now I have always used pumps to filter water. Anyway, I was a little surprised to read on the packaging that it takes 4 hours to purify a liter of water. I wasn't expecting that. I thought maybe an hour. So, how do you folks who use these tablets handle the logistics of the 4 hour wait? The obvious answer is to always carry 2 liters of water; one that is being treated and one that is ready to drink.

What about the drops? Do they work any faster?

Also, the precautionary statements on the packaging are pretty scary. How serious are they? Do you have to avoid touching these things when you drop them into your bottle, or do I just need to be careful not to confuse them with tic tacs?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Malcolm,

You might want to contact Benjamin Tang on this….he is the resident tablet expert.

If I recall from his prior post, the 4 hours is if you want to nuke absolutely everything in the water.

You may be able to use the tablets for only 20 or 30 minutes and be good for most of the bugs out there.

I happen to use a Sawyer inline filter and only use the Aq drops or tablets as back up.

A search on Aquamira drops will probably result in Ben's advocating the tablets over the drops.

You can always PM him and I am sure he can answer your questions in detail.

-Tony

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Someone called? :)

I have a printout from Katadyn Micropur's website — although I can't seem to find that page anymore. In any case, according to the printout:

1. Water at 20C: 15 minutes treatment time for viruses and bacteria. 30 minutes for protozoa cysts.

2. Water at 4C (near freezing): same 15 minutes for viruses and bacteria. 4 hours for protozoa cysts.

Note that AquaMira makes solid tablets as well — same stuff as Micropur.

Of course AquaMira also makes liquid drops — they contain identical ingredients (chlorine dioxide) but diluted. If you read your AM liquid's directions, you will note that it mentions only bacteria — and not protozoa at all. To match the concentration of tablets, you will need to triple the number of drops (both Part A and Part B).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools