Topic

Set Temp Dehydrator

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Set Temp Dehydrator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I was just given a dehydrator with a set temp of 150 deg(F). What can I do with it and what should I stay away from? Also, how do I know how long I need to keep the foods in the dehydrator?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If it has a fan then it is quite usable – you just need to keep an eye on your items. Most likely you will need to move the trays around during the drying to make sure everything is evenly dried.
    You will also need to check more often if drying veggies/fruit so you don't over dry them.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Yep, its got a fan. And the trays rotate very easily. This is the model. It isn't great, but it was free. Now that I have specified the model, will I be okay dehydrating things like pasta dishes? I mainly want to make meals for backpacking, but only if it'll be safe.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I'd just be careful with the layers – keep everything small and uniform, thin layers so it dries faster (this brand isn't the fastest for drying). Also, try to dry on lower humidity days as well.

Otherwise you should be just fine!

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

My main concern is for things like chicken and beef. There are some good places that I can find out how to dehydrate them, but with a set temp of 150, I might not be able to follow the directions exactly. For example, many places that I've read call for ground beef to be dried at 155 deg(F). I know 150 would take longer, but is there any safty risk with the loss of 5 deg(F)?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Not a real issue at 5* difference – but again, it will pay off if you check the food every hour and stir, to make sure all sides are being evenly dried. And keep the food small if it is meat to dry faster. That will speed up the drying process.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools