Topic

Waiting List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Waiting List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Has anyone been on the waiting list, and then called to attend Philmont? Our troop is # 30 on the waiting list.

Thxs

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Nope. But if you go ahead and plan your own trek somewhere else, you'd be ready to go if they called. And if they don't don't call, you'll have a cheaper, less bureaucratic, fun trip.

paul buzzard

@troop208

Ha Ha Joe,

We went last year, and it is a pain sometimes to deal with the red tape. However, it is a really well run operation that deals with a tremendous number of people over the summer, hence the buracracy. You could certainly go somewhere else and have a great trip. I have no experience with the wait list, but #30 seems real high to think about actually going there.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

We do a 50 miler plus every year (last year 61 miles). However, the Scouts are excited about a trip to Philmont, and anything that gets them excited about backpacking has to be good. I think regulations and strict itinerary are more of a pain for the adults than the Scouts.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Ken, the waiting list at Philmont is a funny thing. Don't wait on a call from Philmont. I can't believe that ever happens.

A few days before Christmas I called the camping registration office to tell them we can't use our second trek. They won't take responsibility for it. They want to hold us financially responsible (no refunds!).

So, the camping registrar sent us a list of units in our council and in the state that are on the waiting list. It is my venturing crew's responsibility to find a unit to take the spot. Luckily, we were able to find another troop that was looking for a trip to Philmont. It worked well for everyone.

I think the moral of the story is to network with every Scouter you know to look for a spot for a trip to Philmont. That has worked for us before too.

Joe, lighten up. :-) Yes, there is a lot of bureaucracy for the adults. But the kids have a blast. It isn't a real wilderness experience but I don't think our boys knew the difference. Our Philmont trip in 2008 was a blast.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Hey, I'm not trying to be a downer, I just don't get it. The USA is filled with amazing wilderness areas and incredible treks, and Philmont is considered to be this almost mythical place? I don't even consider it to be the best backpacking in NE New Mexico. Maybe not even Colfax County. Maybe I need to go back. Like they say though, YMMV, and HYOH, and all that. Bottom line is, like a previous poster said, anything that gets the boys excited about backpacking is all good. But don't let them think for a minute that it's a second rate adventure because it isn't Philmont.

Crap, maybe I am a downer. I'll shut up. Hope you and your crew find a vacancy. Find a Scouting board and post that you're looking for vacancies, then start calling Councils. Or if you sent a goodie basket to the registrar, maybe they would call you.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Oh Joe, I didn't aim to pick on you at all. Philmont remains popular because they offer backpacking in some beautiful country with a program that offers a lot for the kids. Most Scouters really couldn't plan a trip that offers hiking plus a variety of shooting sports, fly fishing, peak bagging, cultural programs, conservation work, etc. You're right on every point. But most Scouters just won't develop the skills and experience to take a group of other people's kids for a 10-day trek that they have planned themselves. I agree that there are challenges in getting along in Scouting. But there are some pretty good reasons why the program at Philmont remains so popular after all these years.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I understand our council has a full crew of 12 open for July 4-17 this year.

If you're interested, I can provide a POC.

MikeB

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

You need to look at the Philmont experience differently. It is NOT a traditional back country experience. If that is what you're after then you should plan your own trip somewhere. Think of Philmont as summer camp spread out over 50 miles. If you set your mind in this direction then you'll have the right perspective. For example, the best way to choose your trek should largely be based on the activities offered on the trek.

I took a crew of 12 on an 85 mile trek in the Sierras with a midnight summit of Whitney. It was an awesome trek for everyone. Many of the boys in that trip are also going to Philmont this year. They want to go to Philmont because of what it offers and they understand that it is different that what they did in the Sierras.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

>But most Scouters just won't develop the skills and experience to take a group of other people's kids for a 10-day trek that they have planned themselves.

That is sad………..in a successful program, the older boys should be able to do that.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

We did get picked for 2010 after being on the waiting list.

Rich Bowman

@rbowman

Locale: Houston

We were rescued from the waiting list in Nov '07 for an'08 trek. I don't remember what number we were – higher than 30.
    –Rich
    6280 '08

SHARON duke

@penguin123

My troop has a trek in 2010 they are going to have to find another troop in need of one due to scheduling conflicts. Do you know of anyone in need of 1 trek. I believe it is in July 2010 I will have to get the exact dates. Can you let me know asap. Anyone interested please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharon

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

we have treks off of the waiting list for 2010. we were #238. I don't think that philmont will let you transfere a trek to another troop also. dave

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools