Topic

Nalgene Cantene for Food Storage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Nalgene Cantene for Food Storage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Anyone ever use a Nalgene Wide Mouth Cantene for dry food storage on a long distance thru hike?

I thinking a 96 oz. cantene will hold a lot of dry soup mix and will hold up a lot better than freezer bags to general usage.

Thoughts?

david fausnight

@rckjnky

96 oz. seems like an aweful lot of soup mix. It might work very nicely for trail mix or something like that. Smaller platypus bottles like the little nipper or .5 liter might be a bit of a pain to fill, but could work very nicely for things like rice, instant mashed potatoes, or powered milk.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You can find heavy duty storage bags for food in some gourmet cooking stores..might be a start for you.
    Though for me, Glad freezerbags work great for storage. Secret is keeping powders out of the zippers.
    The cantene would work-but you might find it bulky over time-and frustrating since it couldn’t be used for water.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use a 16 oz. Nalgene Canteen to carry spaghetti sauce that comes in a bottle. It leaves s thin film of sauce on the inside.

The bulk carry option does not suit my style becasue I measure and bag all portions before the trip.

Marisa Galitz

@mgalitz

Haven’t tried it yet but thinking of using the Nalgene Wide Mouth as a rodent proof container for my trail mix.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Rodent proof? Rodents will easily chew through a Nalgene Cantene, and probably any Nalgene Jar (the lids would be the easiest part to get through).

I’m a big fan of ziploc bags myself. Rodent proof usually means nicely hung from a tree branch with a piece of metal (like a small ‘biner or a hardware store snaplink) that the mice can’t climb over.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Rember rodents have very sharp teeth, and they will hang out for a loooong time if they smell a free dinner. Not much is rodent proof/resistant-besides metal and things like Ursacks and bear canisters.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

>> Not much is rodent proof/resistant-besides metal and things like Ursacks and bear canisters. << Even Ursack advises that sharp teeth like those from canines, felines and rodents are able to get through their material. Apparently bear teeth are more rounded than these other species. From the Ursack FAQ page:
    “Is Ursack resistant to rodents, marmots, wolves, etc? – Ursack is highly effective against Marmots and raccoons. It should not be considered wolf or dog resistant. That’s because they have sharp teeth and strong jaws. Bears have great strength, but their teeth are not sharp. Other rodents have varying degrees of success. Sometimes mice can chew very small holes, but very little of your food is likely to be taken. Some species of squirrels and (we have heard) pine martens have greater success, and may on rare occasion chew holes in Ursack.”

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

As I said, they are resistant ;-) Though, in about 5 years not one has gotten into my Ursack. Woke up one morning to find my Ursack covered in chipmunk poo….the had been on my bag probably the whole night-and left their (blech!) calling card of frustration. Lol….

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I use a 32 oz. nalgene wide-mouthed hard-sided bottle to carry my energy bars in when I overnight. It is waterproof, bugproof and has been rodent proof so far.

Has anyone tried a “ratsack”? They used to advertise in Backpacker Mag., but haven’t seen an add lately. For about the same weight as an Ursack, they appear to be racoon, mouse, skunk, possum and squirrel proof!!!

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California
    Verndal Lee

@jagc

Locale: Pacific NW

Michael,

Very timely question, as I’m currently debating with myself as to whether I want to get an Ursack or a Ratsack to protect my food. I would, of course, use an odor barrier (similar to the O.P. Sack) with whatever I decide to get – the theory being if they can’t smell it, they won’t know it’s there and thus it won’t get eatten.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

the little buggers understand the theory, too!

i personally think odor barrier is 90% of the battle.

and of course the other 10% is half mental!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I use an Ursack, but that is becuase I hike in black bear country the majority of the time. I have had mine for near 5 years. Most of my friends have Ursacks-when we go on our big trips, we have a literal musuem of Ursacks-every style ever made…lol!

Verndal Lee

@jagc

Sarbar –
    Do you use the aluminum liner with your Ursack or do you just use the Ursack by itself?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

By itself. I’d like to get one of the metal liners..I just haven’t gotten around to it.
    The only animal I don’t trust my Ursack to is racoons. So when I coastal hike, I use an, ugh, bear canister.
    Thing is, I don’t carry food that can really be wrecked if I do ever encounter a nasty bear (and in all the years of using it, chipmunks are the pestiest thing!!). I know people ask “what if your food gets crushed?” and my reply is…if your food is dry already, it isn’t going to get any more crushed ;-) I do carry things like olive oil in the center, just in case.

Verndal Lee

@jagc

Sarbar – So what you’re saying is that you have both because you need a hard sided bear container for protection from raccoons.

For those of us who don’t want to invest in both an Ursack or bear container, wouldn’t a bear container alone be the more practical of the two choices?

I’m trying to invest my resources ($$$) wisely.

Doug Hile

@dhile

I have used and still use a rat sack they are great at keeping out Grand Canyon pests. I think they would stop a racoon if hung in a tree.
    Weight is not bad, better than a canister.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I rent the canisters from the WIC at Olympic NP, when I need one (a $3 donation). I refuse to buy one ;-) I only have to use one when I coastal hike.
    When I hike at Mt. Rainier NP, they love hikers so much they have bear poles in every camp. When going X/C or anywhere else, I take the Ursack.

Verndal Lee

@jagc

Your comments really have helped me. Looks like I’m getting an Ursack.

Billy Huesgan

@pointman

I see this discussion is a few years old, but for what it's worth I would suggest a GrubPack. I've discussed this on another page in the past. It's a wire mesh bag for keep rodents out of your food. It's light, strong and affordable. I'm sure you can find it with a google search.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Looks like the Grubpack and Ratsak are two versions of essentially the same thing…both wire mesh that prevents gnawing thru. I see most folks here are from the west, but here in the Adirondacks we have to use bear canisters – they're required a good part of the year in a good part of the ADK's. With that said, most retailers rent the canisters, but I've never seen anyone here that rents any of the sack type systems.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools