Topic

Frayed Cloth Cleanup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Frayed Cloth Cleanup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I have grown to really enjoy sewing my gear, but there is one problem that I cannot get past. How do you deal with the fraying that results from cutting some fabrics? I hate this, because they sometimes catch in the machine's processes. This fouls up the machine or causes pulls in the fabric. I realize this doesn't happen that much, but when it does, it stinks!

I've thought about maybe using a hot knife. Would this work? Will all fabrics be safe cutting with a hot knife? Are there other ways to stop this fraying that will still leave me with a stright edge?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Serging! I believe I spelled that correctly. Ask about it at your local sewing shop.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I've thought about maybe using a hot knife. Would this work?
    A hot knife and a steel edge works great.

> Will all fabrics be safe cutting with a hot knife?
    Works with synthetics, but won't work with any natural fibres. Blends like poly-cotton won't work either.

The fraying problem is one reason some synthetics have a cheap acrylic coating. NOT for waterproofing, but to bind and stabilise the weave.

Cheers

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

Roger,
    So the "normal" fabrics we use (i.e. silnylon, spinnaker, cuban, and etc) will ALL work with a hot knife?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> So the "normal" fabrics we use (i.e. silnylon, spinnaker, cuban, and etc) will ALL work with a hot knife?
    Yep. I have cut all of those.

If your hot knife has a variable temperature you should do some tests on scraps before you start on the real cutting to see what temperature is best for the fabric you are cutting. I need a different temperature for 30 gsm parachute cloth compared to 1000 denier Cordura! Cutting speed also factors in.

I cut on some cheap 3-ply. It ends up with many slight burn marks. Don't do it on carpet, polished floors, concrete, …

Cheers

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If you have a wood deck, I have found it helpful in maintaining a straight line. I use duct tape and very gently stretch the fabric.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools