Topic

Heineken/Cat/Esbit Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heineken/Cat/Esbit Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm planning a solo 56 mile one night trip and have been goofing around with minimal cook systems using esbit tabs.
    Due to mileage, I want to do this as SUL as I can- I'm not big on the idea of using a Heineken pot on a regular basis, but it makes sense for this.
    I'd go without a cook system but I find that something hot boosts morale at the end of a long day.

So I came up with this-cook system

The ring on the left is a Heineken lid (removed with a safety opener) with the center cut out.

The can is a 3oz. cat can with cutouts.
    I found that the Heineken lid stacks perfectly (very secure) on the cat can, like this:stove

The Heineken pot then nests on this perfectly (also very stable):pot/stove

Just another solution for a simple, light and stable pot stand for the Heineken pot. Without the ring cut from a spare lid, the Heineken pot won't balance on the cat can very well.

The whole setup weighs 1.5 oz (including screen) and boils 2 cups of water in about 10 minutes.

Thought I'd share.
    Cheers.

Sorry for the crummy second photo.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Craig,

Very nice adaptation! I'm gonna try it.

Thanks, Todd

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Nice!

I haven't tried this but I've seen other people cut the bottom out of the can and use it upside down as the pot. You may be able to eliminate the adaptor ring if you do this as the top is flat.

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

Couple questions:

What is the windscreen made from?

What's a safety opener (to get the ring out of the can) and where do I get one?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The windscreen is cut from a heavy foil oven pan (like the lightweight disposable pans people cook turkeys in).

The safety opener is a can opener that cuts from the side, thus creating a lid and rim that do not have sharp edges- pick one up at any grocery store.

Stephen Adamczyk

@shootera3

How do you cut out center of heinekin lid. I tryed several ways and ruined lid.
    Thanks,shootera3

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Mine is a OXO top-opener I purchased at Wholefoods. It works or opens the can very easily!!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

take a Utility knife and score it over and over and the center will fall out.

Stephen Adamczyk

@shootera3

I just found another way, I had a large hole saw, and it made a perfect cut. I nailed the lid to a board, so it was unable to turn, worked fine.
    Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools