Topic

Alcohol Stove Efficiency Calculator

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alcohol Stove Efficiency Calculator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

A while back, I thought I saw someone post a free program that calculated stove efficiency/output after you entered some parameters like boil time, amount of fuel, etc. I think it even calculated BTUs or something like that. I've searched the forums and the net but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link or is this just the delusion of someone who has inhaled too many denatured alcohol fumes?

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Jason,

I saw a spreadsheet that did this a while back. It calculated "Watts and/or BTU/H to the pot". I can look for it and send it to you again if you like.

I think this is the best way to rate a stove because this one number makes comparison's easy. When people publish boil times, too often they leave out one critical parameter or other. e.g. starting temperature, quantity of water etc. Even if they include all the parameters, it's still difficult to make comparisons because they all use different starting temps and water quantities so additional calculations are required.

On the other hand, it's easy to compute boil times for various conditions once you know the Watts to the pot. Measuring Watts also speeds up testing because you don't need to wait for a boil for most types of stoves. (wood stoves are an exception because the wattage varies wildly and some averaging over time is necessary.

Finally, true fuel efficiency can be computed if you know how much energy is in the fuel you're using. Fuel energy content tables are available on the internet.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I'd be interested in using one of those. I've made and tested 30+ stoves but all the variables make it nearly impossible to make an accurate comparison.

rdg __

@rdg__

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

This site helps you choose between different types of stoves once you know their power output and efficiency. The program I'm writing about helps compute these parameters.

I have a Microsoft spreadsheet that calculates stove power and fuel efficiency. I'll share it if someone can tell me where I can upload it.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Herman,
    The program you're writing sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Couldn't you post it on Google Docs and share it?

If not, I would be willing to post it on one of my websites if you send me the file. Email me at [email protected] if you'd like me to do that. Of course I'd give full credit to you and put any other links, etc. you want there. Let me know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools