Topic

Patagonia #1 Merino Wool Hoody – Coming Soon.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Patagonia #1 Merino Wool Hoody – Coming Soon.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Patagonia has added a #1 Merino Wool T-shirt to their line of Merino Wool products but they will not be making one with a Hood.

I ordered two, one to wear and one to use the material for a Hood. I will sew the Hood on the other #1 Merino Wool shirt and turn it into a Hoody.

I received the new Patagonia #1 Merino Wool T-Shirts today.

One in size large – weight is 3.5 ounces.
    Second (donor shirt) in size extra large – weight is 3.8 ounces.

The color is sort of a southwestern rust/red with brown sleeves.

I will be wearing the size large for awhile as I finish a few projects I am working on. Then I will cut up the XL for Hood material and sew the Hood on the size large.

I will use the same pattern I made for my Patagonia #2 Merino Wool Hoody.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Bill, What was the cost of the shirt?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

The pic isnt loading…

Do you have a link? How did you order them?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Jay,

They are $75.

Huzefa,

I ordered mine direct from Patagonia here in the US. Patagonia is just starting to receive them and I don't think they have them on their web site yet. The order number is 36440.

Can you normally see pictures on these threads?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Yes. I can see the pic now.

Are there any other colors?

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

The tee is now on the patagonia website.

http://tinyurl.com/8jay2x

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Hi Bill, Have you been wearing this T? what are your first impressions? did any test on its drying time? how is the stink resistance?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Huzefa,

I wore this shirt 24 hours a day for 5 or 6 days. No smell, in-fact I still haven't washed it. No smell.

I may wash it today – Monday – and will time how long it takes to dry.

I spent a couple of hours Sunday afternoon working on a set of patterns to add "long arms and thumb holes" to the shirt sleeves. I really don't think there will be enough material for both long arms and a hood. I may have to decide which would be more useful a hood or long arms. If I can only do one or the other I am thinking that long arms might be the best way to go. The two different colors don't help much but I think I have a way to use the dark color for the cuffs.

I will not know for sure if I have enough material for both until I take the shirt apart. After that I can try laying the pattern pieces for both the long sleeves and the hood on the material and see what happens.

I have to look for my Hood Pattern.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Bill,
    since you're talking about long sleeves and thumb loops, I just want to mention that in the fall a long sleeved merino 1 will be available. I do seem to remember something about thumb loops but I'm not sure about that. I'll let you know.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

no stink? thats great.

looking forward to dying time test.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Bill,
    this is the info I have about the merino 1 crew:
    Men’s and W’s Merino 1 Crew
    The wide cuff bands hold sleeves where you place them

No thumb loops but the cufs seem marge enough to make them. It's hard to say if the sleeves are long enough.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information. I will assume you heard about this from the Outdoor Retail Show just held on your side of the pond. I know that Patagonia had someone there. I called Patagonia and after a little search they found the same information you have reported. Fall 2009, mens, long sleeve #1 wool. I don't think Patagonia puts thumb loops on there things. I may still add long sleeves as I may have a chance to wear it this winter/ spring.

Huzefa,

My #1 Wool Shirt is soaking in some soap. It is 62 F and sunny here today so after soaking awhile I will rinse it and put it outside to dry.

I am getting ready to cut my XL shirt apart.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Hi Bill,
    actually the winter show is taking place in two weeks. But I already got the press release with the new stuff some weeks ago. Did you get a picture of the shirt too?
    I've noticed that the cuffs are really wide. Seems ideal to make some thumb loops. Of course, it also depends on the overall length of the sleeves.
    But I guess part of the fun for you is to sew the thing together yourself :-)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Tom,

I have not seen the picture of the long sleeve #1 Wool Shirt..

I washed the #1 Wool short sleeve shirt and put it out to dry. It is 62 F and sunny here today.

Drying outside.

Then I started cutting my XL shirt apart and forgot about the shirt outside. 45 minutes later when I thought about it, it was dry. I will check the time when I have to wash it again.

The XL shirt before and after being cut apart. The pattern pieces are for long sleeves. The dark pieces are for the sleeve cuffs. This is only to see how much material it would take for long sleeves. I still haven't found my hood pattern so I may just make another pattern.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools