Topic

Sleeping Bag Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Bag Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I know some people make the Horse Thief work in the Sierra in summer, so that should probably do just fine. Where did you find it for 109? I'm thinking of getting another for my boyfriend.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

John,

Don't count on the temps on the AT 'only' getting down to 30 at night in April. A friend of mine experienced temps in the teens in April last year (granted that was in VA, not GA, but the GA mountains are a lot colder than the flatlands). You never know when a freak cold snap can happen.

However, in 2006 I hiked GA in April during a freak warm spell and temps got as high as 90 in the day, maybe 60's at night. It's really hard to predict what April in the mountains will bring, especially if you factor in wind chill and many shelters/established camp sites on the AT in Georgia experience significant wind that time of year.

Most AT thru hikers will use a 20 degree bag if they start in March/April. The Campmor bag is fairly heavy, but a lot of folks on a budget rave about it, and agree the rating is about right.

My suggestion would be to go with a well-rated 20 degree bag and add layers if it's colder than expected, or use it 'quilt' style if warmer. A pair of long john pants and shorts make a good sleeping combo – you can use either or both depending on conditions.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

"So, the Kelty lightyear 15 is only $109 (plus shipping). But I'm entertaining the idea of getting a Big Agnes Horse Thief for $139 (includes shipping). It's only rated for 35, but 1 lb and 11 ounces.

I'm looking for light."

There's a saying that's pretty much true – warm, light, or cheap – pick any two. I'd say go for warm, which unfortunately means you have to choose between light or cheap.

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

Thanks to all you who gave your advice.

I decided on a Kelty Light Year 25. It arrived today and I just ordered it two days ago!!!

Got it at http://www.moontrail.com for $109 +$9 shipping. They have the Light Year 15 for the same price too.

I heard it's not a good idea to spray a water proofing agent on the outside of the bag like you would do a tent or backpack. But is there anything else to do to help protect it?

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools