Topic

Arizona backpacking suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Arizona backpacking suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Riddle
    BPL Member

@gregriddle

Locale: White Mtns

Any suggestions for backpacking and hiking trips in Arizona during mid April?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

name the terrain you want, the elevation demands, the distance you want, and what airport you are arriving in and I can narrow it down to 2,137 hikes. Mike

Greg Riddle
    BPL Member

@gregriddle

Locale: White Mtns

I'm flexible. I'll be out there for a week and would like to do a 3 day/2 night backpack and day hikes the rest of the time. I would probably not do more than 15 miles per day but could do up to 20 on some day hikes.

I have not made travel plans yet so I would fly to the airport that makes the most sense.

Thanks for your help!

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I just returned from a backpacking trip in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix. It's beautiful out there and there are a lot of trails. We also have a large hole in the ground in the northern part of the state called the Grand Canyon or something along those lines. Perhaps you can score some permits for up there…if you can, April is a great time to see the canyon.

Check out http://www.hikearizona.com. It's a site with a forum and lots of great information on backpacking around the state.

Michael Whiteside

@ruralbackpacker

Locale: Northern California

Hi, I'll chime in and say that I spent a fantastic week backpacking in the Grand Canyon last year. I went at the end of April and the weather down in the Canyon was fantastic. You might consider it. It is amazing down there.

I went solo and got a walk-up permit at the South Rim.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Michael

les lloyd
    BPL Member

@denaliguide

Locale: new zealand & alaska

i agree with the grand canyon. i did the royal arches route on the south rim in mid april a couple of years ago. the weather was perfect. you pack can be light except for the water you have to carry. i did it as a 3 day 2 night trip. 35 miles of fun route finding, one mandatory rappel, and awesome vistas. this is one of the least traveled and more difficult routes on the south rim. i did it solo and would not recommend it for rookies as a solo trip. there are plenty of other easier options on the south rim as well. the hance, boucher, dripping springs trails are all good. i would stay away from the kaibab and the bright angel if you want some sort of solitude.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools