Topic

Endurance or Epic Shell Jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Endurance or Epic Shell Jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Locale: Sierra

Does anyone manufacture shell jackets out of either of these highly water resistant fabrics? My idea is to use this as a shell jacket in the winter, as opposed to my fully waterproof shells(Goretext Paclite) to save weight and add breathability. It seems to me that a Pertex Endurance hooded jacket would be sufficient for snow and frozen rain.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

EPIC jacket, Jugungal

EPIC jacket, summit of Mt Jagungal, 2008
    Made it myself, love it.
    But not good for heavy rain.

Cheers

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Wild Things makes windshirts out of Epic.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_performance.php

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Wildthings "epic" wind pullover is very well made and provides good protection . I prefer the Houdini for three season use but for winter snowshoeing this is the pullover I use for wind and light snow protection.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Thom- why the epic over Hoodini in winter?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Bill,
    The WildThings epic pullover, for me, is more wind and weather resistant providing better protection in very cold winter weather. The Houdini being lighter and airier works better for three season use. I own both and this allows me to select the wind shell that I prefer for expected trip conditions and seasons.

The epic windshell allows me to endure bad winter weather conditions longer before having to pull out the Arcteryx LT. If I could only have one windshell I would likely select the Houdini and just resort to pulling out the hardshell sooner.

Others may have an opinion different then my own but this works for me.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I agree with Thom on the WT Epic windshirt. I'm cold prone and use the Epic shirt whenever it gets below 40 F. It's especially good in snow, as it's waterproof enough to shed that as well as eVENT or Gore-Tex. Too warm for summer though.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I also have a Wild Things windshirt and thoroughly recommend them, well made and work in cold conditions very well. And this thread will ensure that your epic gear is cleaned correctly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools