Topic

You’ve got to be kidding!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support You’ve got to be kidding!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

fe·ces is profanity? (your auto censor wouldn't publish a post with this word in it). Not according to my dictionary.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

One word for the moderators: silly.

But the English language is rich. Try using scat or dung instead.

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Locale: Northeast (New England)

Good point, Ben. Maybe there's a need for a wiki-type thesaurus page for people who need to look up precise/useful synonyms for banned words. I've noticed that "frig," "friggin'," and "frigging" all get through–but "fe*es" won't. Sometimes the best response to excessive censorship is to circumvent the ignorant censor ;-}.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Gear whor and gear sluut are both precise terms frequently used on backpacking forums — but can't be used here. Methinks the immature moderators still haven't outgrown their hangup's from childhood.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hey guys, it's not my doing!

As far as I know, the system simply uses a filter package which came with the system software. No custom dictionaries used, no human intervention, at all.

Low on the list of priorities right now however …

Cheers

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Locale: Northeast (New England)

Benjamin T Wrote: “Gear whor and gear sluut are both precise terms frequently used on backpacking forums — but can't be used here. Methinks the immature moderators still haven't outgrown their hangup's from childhood.”

Personally, I guess, I find some of the terms such as “gear whor” and “gear sluut” a bit disconcerting, largely because of their connotative associations with sexist valuations and posturings. As a writer, I would be the last to suggest that words are inherently neutral. Nevertheless, I also find it disturbing that some people imagine that words have almost magical powers to create realities. I found it outrageously funny when a (very linguistically conservative) buddy of mine told me he had spent all afternoon “frigging around with his gear.” Granted, the word has been slowly drifting from its original meaning for the last few decades—but, as an intensifier, the word frig is still much closer to its original meaning than a word like “f**k”. What really bothers me, though, is when ignorant programmers fashion silly programs that inhibit the free and accurate sharing of information. Two years ago I taught at a religiously conservative college that wouldn’t allow me to search the internet for “Wessex Anglo Saxon Manuscripts”. Of course, "Wessex" was one of the problems—but it turned out that the other problem was “manuscripts”.

Roger C. Wrote: “As far as I know, the system simply uses a filter package which came with the system software. No custom dictionaries used, no human intervention, at all.”

It never occurred to me that you would personally be the censor, Roger–in fact, it is kind of amusing to imagine you scouring the site for dirty words :-0. Still, it would ideal if SOMEDAY the profanity filters could be more liberalized, the BPL definition of profanity clearly and obviously stated, and then perhaps people could simply report posts that seem to stray “too far” from the site’s rules of civility.

OK. Enough of this. My shift is about to end, and I’ve got to get home and figure out why my #@!!*+$ sewing machine keeps snarling up in spite of all attempts to adjust it.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Roger:

No, I did not assume it was your doing. But I did assume an automatic filter that is also customizable. I find it hard to believe that BPL's program filter isn't customizable.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi
    I got by using SOB – Son of Balrog? and had a lot of fun with that.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I couldn't write POOOP (with two O's)

I use the term POO-POO now, and I feel content…

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Hey Bill this is Balrog you can't pin it on me I barely knew the girl. As for beating the censors how 'bout Phil Ratio? Or is that going to far.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

no human intervention, at all.

A recent scientific test (the G-Carlinean phenomenum) indicated that if there is in fact no human intervention then there is strong evidence that there are acts of God to maintain forum cleanliness.

Amen!

: )

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

no human intervention, at all

Well, 'no human intervention' managed to take down my SNAFU post. That was silly.

You think these BPL folks can make themselves just a bit more useful by answering my question HERE instead?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Ben

John Shannon answered your question days ago. Scroll up in the other thread and see what he wrote.

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools