Topic

hand warmers in sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique hand warmers in sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

I was wondering if anyone has tried this before:

I was walking through my local REI when I came upon those reusable hand warmers (the kind with the button you snap to activate it, then boil it to recharge it). I was wondering if it would work to throw a few of them inside of your sleeping bag to lower the comfort rating of a bag, or just to warm up your bag on a particularly cold night. Has anyone tried this before? Would it work?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Very small thermal mass => very little heat energy +. very short life and very small area warmed.

You would be better off using the weight allowance for a better bag or better clothing.

Cheers

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas
    Sabine Schroll
    BPL Member

@sabi

When I go testing the limits of my gear I take most of the time a handwarmer, usually a white gas handwarmer or a single use heater.
    When putting it at 3 a.m. on the solar plexus it is a wonder how fast you will feel warm and comfortable again.
    The white gas handwarmer is really hot, but no open flame, for 14 hours.
    Even in a good sleeping bag I am not always capable to stay in a relaxing warm vs. just warm enough. A bit external warmth can make a big difference for me.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Before you get into your sleeping bag, it helps if your heart rate is up. This pumps blood to your extremities and will warm you up very quickly. If you are able, try walking briskly or do jumping jacks, before climbing into your tent. If it's raining I just do sit-ups before "zipping" in. An old guy I met in the late 60's taught me this trick. It really works. If I wake up, cold, in the middle of the night, I just do some vigorous moves and get my pulse pounding.

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

Justin:

I've brought these into my bag just to warm some cold spots. I liked having them. I've held them in my hand or put them on my groin when I woke up a little on the cold side. What you do not want to do is put them under your clothing on your skin or fall asleep with them beneath you – I fell asleep once and it was between my neck and the bag and I had a nice red mark for about 24 hours – it woke me right quick….

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Hmmm. This forum has given me an idea for sewing a pocket into a camp pillow or something fitted with a velcro closure that's big enough for a hand warmer. This way, it's not directly touching your skin but would hopefully still keep your pillow warm. Anyone think it would work? Probably worth a shot…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I often have bricks of ice for feet/hands so I use the single use warmers a LOT in winter.

I even use the insole ones for my boots if I will be hiking in temps under 10*.

Often on chilly nights I will crack two and put them down under my feet inside my bag to warm me up. Helps me warm up right away.

As for changing my clothes instead….that doesn't work. In winter I often wear down socks over wool socks. Heck, I wear winter wear at home and am still cold :-P

So yes, they can help.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I honestly have always filled a Nalgene bottle (alas the BPA) with boiled water, tossed it into the sleeping bag before bed, and it keeps me warm on those cold nights. Cheap, multiuse (okay, you got to use the safe Nalgene bottle now) but effective. If the bottle is too hot, just wrap the bottle in a sock.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

The coldest I've ever been was last spring on a canoe trip, and I doubt if it got down anywhere close to freezing. I had put a handwarmer in the foot of my sleeping bag, and I've often wondered if that had something to do with it. Maybe it was just the high humidity, but I had to wonder if the hand warmer wasn't giving off water vapor or something.

Jacques mara

@mindexpansion

Hot water is a good solution. Fill a bladder for a pillow and one for your core in the bag. Extra fuel yes but if you are rested you can carry it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools